Heading to Cranmere Pool

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Oxman
Ambler
Ambler

Heading to Cranmere Pool

Post by Oxman »

My 11 yr old son is keen to make the pilgrimage to Cranmere Pool for the Holy Grail of stamps (and so am I!)

We are planning to head there over the weekend of 1-3rd of May and I have proposed a route from Lydford via Green Tor (Bleak House) and Great Kneeset as a shortish hike.

What does the community think of this route?
Badalika - Kenya boxers on the moor!!
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Great Kneeset isn't exactly small...
But whatever the route you decide upon make a note of which way you are going to go and write it down twice - one copy for you and one for someone at home. So if you get into difficulties the search parties know where to look. And don't forget to phone them when you get off the moor to say you are safe.

A rule of thumb for timing is 15 minutes per kilometer plus 2 minutes for every contour climbed then add more for frequent stopping for boxes.

Both times I have gone up there I have gone from Mary Tavy and followed the peat passes the first time I did it it rained and it rained hard and heavy.
Perhaps it is one of the most rewarding walks I have done and I enjoyed it - I was considering doing it again the other day but decided not to due to the lack of light.

Whatever route you choose I really hope you have a great time
Nik 245 to go
Oxman
Ambler
Ambler

Post by Oxman »

Thanks for that Nik

We have now decided it might be even more of an experience if we camp out for the night! - anyway I will spend some more time looking over the map .... !
Jones family on tor
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Jones family on tor »

We did this route last June. Kirsty age 12 made it easily
We started at High Down past Arms Tor, Great links, Bleak House ruin, Green Tor, Amicombe Hill, Kneeset Foot, Kneeset Nose, Jackmans Bottom then returned via south of Great Kneeset and just North of Rattle Brook Hill then up to Dicks well and followed the track back to High Down.
It is up and down all the way but made for a fabulous day.
You will need to start out early though if you do it in one day at that time of the year, to make sure you have plenty of Daylight.

Faith is taking the photo, typical teenager doesn't want her photo taken

foxy
Trekker
Trekker

Post by foxy »

Hi Oxman,

Sounds a cracking route and according the forecast, Saturday looks the better bet as rain features heavily in Sunday's weather!

I run that route often (you'll probably spot my entries in the book) There's a nice track from Kitty Tor flagpole to Amicombe Hole (keep your eyes peeled for the ring rock) and another up to Great Kneeset. It's a bit lumpy after that but not too bad for walkers. :lol:

There's another run from Fernworthy Reservoir (there's parking at the bottom of the Teignhead Road track near the western edge of the reservoir.) Up to Watern Tor, Hangingstone Hill and Cranmere Pool from there may be quicker than the Kneeset route.

Keep your eyes peeled for Will May's House at 639 868, the remains of a peat cutter's shelter and the peat kiln on the track between Wild Tor and Hangingstone Hill. You also may be lucky enough to spot the aircraft crash site!

Have a brilliant day and take care,

Paul
foxy
Trekker
Trekker

Post by foxy »

How did you get on with your Cranmere Pool trip, Oxman?

Out for a run from High Down out that way tomorrow morning.

Paul
Oxman
Ambler
Ambler

We made it

Post by Oxman »

Well sorry this reply comes so long after the event but we made it!

Drove up from Salisbury early on Saturday and started walking around 11am. Decided to set up our tent on the Kneeset side of Amicombe hill and then set off to Cranmere arriving around 1700 in glorious sunshine and much joy and incredulity from Max! - Couldnt believe he had made it!

Started raining on our way back to our camp but arrived safely and settled in for the evening after checking in with our contact at home to let them know we were safe.

Overnight the rain and wind settled in and we awoke to a very wet, foggy miserable dawn and had to find our way back to Bleak House by backtracking on the GPS! - all good fun and we arrived back at the van in the Lydford carpark for a well earned fry up by mid morning!

Now we are planning another trip to Ducks Pool and a few other of the old letterboxes listed here - viewtopic.php?t=912&start=30
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

Well done. It sounds like you both had a fantastic time. Ducks Pool won't take you so long. I walk there from the Scout Hut but some go in from Nun's Cross.

Enjoy.
next target 2000 - hopefully some time in 2010 (ha, ha, make that 2013)
Tina
foxy
Trekker
Trekker

Post by foxy »

I spotted your entry in the book Oxman and assumed you had a great time :D