Wanted: Gazetteer Of Dartmoor Names

Buy, sell, exchange, & highlight items on ebay. We cannot accept responsibility for any aspect of any transaction that may take place. Please exercise care before parting with money and let us know if you have problems of any kind.

Moderator: Moderators

Box Hunter
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Box Hunter »

Does anyone have any idea where I can get hold of a copy of Mike Brown's Gazetteer of Dartmoor Names? Many thanks.
Patience helps....
panomobile
Hiker
Hiker

Post by panomobile »

I have just done a quick search of the West Devon Library and I see that it has three copies of it. They are in Ivybridge, Newton Abbot, and Tavistock but they are not able to be loaned out the site says.

Nick
The Wandering Artist
Trekker
Trekker

Post by The Wandering Artist »

Hi Box Hunter

'The Gazetteer' - has a ISBN 09515274 7 9 , by 'Forest Publishing' 1995.

There is also a 'Supplement' issued 1998 as a free addition to the original.

I have a copy of both and the supplement is really essential as the original.

Have not yet checked such places as Amazon but it may wellbe worth a try. Hope this helps.
Box Hunter
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Box Hunter »

I've been checking Amazon and a few other sites regularly, but no joy; I'll keep trying. And I guess I'd be breaching copyright if I went to the library and photocopied the whole book?!
SharisDelgadillo
Drifter
Drifter

Re: Wanted: Gazetteer Of Dartmoor Names

Post by SharisDelgadillo »

Box Hunter wrote:Does anyone have any idea where I can get hold of a copy of Mike Brown's Gazetteer of Dartmoor Names? Many thanks.
Looking for the same copy and gone through many sites.If you get any kind of information help me out..
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

I am sure it went out of print as there were supposed to be a lot of errors (allegedly) in the map references.
I did transpose all the references to a computer many years ago for a letterbox program - but sadly that computer wont speak to any other computer so the info isn't transferable
Nik 245 to go
trekkernod
Hiker
Hiker

Post by trekkernod »

I Googled Dartmoor Gazetteer just to help to see if any copies were available. A possible source may be the Yelverton & District Local History Society. They advertise several books which are available to purchase at their Meetings. This includes the Gazetteer. See their web site for details.
Noddy
The Toytown Trekker
litt
Drifter
Drifter

Post by litt »

There is also a 'Supplement' issued 1998 as a free addition to the original.

Last edited by litt on Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Ant
Ambler
Ambler

Post by Adam Ant »

Keep your eye on ebay. I found one on there and, although it cost me about £15.00, it has proven to be invaluable.
Adam Ant and Milty on the Moor