Turned to the dark side......got me thinking.....

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Freemans of the Moor
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Freemans of the Moor »

Gemma wrote:
Brinnie wrote:Has anyone ever visited any letterboxes listed on one of these US website, I believe one is call atlas, not sure about the other one. :?:
Yep!!! Not many Boxes listed for the UK, and not very many finders.Guess UK Boxers are not bothered. :D :D
We tried "Atlas Quest" a couple of years ago. The clues are all from American 'Boxers' and have no idea when issuing a Dartmoor clue as to either its accuracy or its relevance in the Dartmoor landscape. They seem to think too big all the time !
eg. from Okehampton Castle walk along a path, box under rock. (apparently the box is on Row Tor !) This can explain the NOT BOTHERED problem.

We did issue one of our WoM clues on this site. A standard Dartmoor clue including GPS.
It was never ever visited by any American or Atlas Quest member.
Freemans of the Moor
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Freemans of the Moor »

Sowerby Streaker wrote:Thanks Gemma - the rolling eyes smiley was not intended to be used as an insult to anyone. The smileys on this forum are there to lighten and brighten, up our posts.

To Bog Baby -you quoted - Perhaps you need a visit to hardcore boxers anonymous
For your info, I am a hard core boxer and have been since the early 1980's. I have now nearly 29,000 stamps in my collection, so think that qualifies me as a dedicated boxer, so no need for me to visit anywhere other than on the moors which I love. Wonder how many boxes you have collected so far :?: :D
Sounds like its thumbs in braces time ! Ours is also 29.000
Dartymoor
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Dartymoor »

Nik - KOTM wrote:though boxing is the primary "sport" on the moor.
Ah, now there's a challenging statement!

You might argue that walking is not a sport, but I would say the same of boxing since you don't have to do it in a competitive way, so I would call Walking the biggest sport and pasttime on Dartmoor based on man-hours?
Gemma
Trekker
Trekker

Post by Gemma »

Freemans of the Moor wrote:
Sowerby Streaker wrote:Thanks Gemma - the rolling eyes smiley was not intended to be used as an insult to anyone. The smileys on this forum are there to lighten and brighten, up our posts.

For your info, I am a hard core boxer and have been since the early 1980's. I have now nearly 29,000 stamps in my collection, so think that qualifies me as a dedicated boxer, so no need for me to visit anywhere other than on the moors which I love. Wonder how many boxes you have collected so far :?: :D
Sounds like its thumbs in braces time ! Ours is also 29.000
Only one thumb for us Freeman's as we have only Circa 19K :D :D , guess we are only beginners!!
We seek them here, we seek them......
bog_baby
Hiker
Hiker

Post by bog_baby »

Ah sorry SS I clearly misunderstood you as it appeared you told TC's you didn't think they should bother being on this board, I'm not quite sure how a smiley rolling it's eyes lightens and brightens this comment but I'll take your word for it.

You clearly misunderstood the point you have quoted above. Saying you needed to visit HC boxers anonymous was not questioning how many boxes you had visited or how dedicated to the sport you are. The complete opposite in fact, I meant that as a hard core boxer you appear to look down on anyone who isn't as dedicated as you. You have in fact gone on to prove my point by 'wondering' how many boxes I have collected when you know full well no doubt that we have yet to reach a hundred - I have mentioned it in a lot of posts.
bog_baby
Hiker
Hiker

Post by bog_baby »

Gemma wrote:
bog_baby wrote:
Sowerby Streaker wrote:So T.C. after reading your response above - can I ask why you remain a member of this Letterboxing site????? If you are not interested in letterboxing, seems rather strange that you would want to be on here :roll:
I thought letterboxing got off rather lightly after the bashing geocaching got :lol: you were rather harsh though SS :shock: and eye rolling at people is REALLY rude in my opinion - just because someone is an occassional boxer who does it as they go out for a walk shouldn't mean they can't air their views on this forum. Perhaps you need a visit to hardcore boxers anonymous :?
TC's I really like you for 2 reasons - 1 you have chocolate in your name and it's delicious and 2 I have a choc lab/collie cross, see you are appreciated really :)
I thought letterboxing got off rather lightly after the bashing geocaching got Humm guess you don't read the GC forums then.

SS I would suggest is just airing their view, as I am. Rolling eyes in my view is not rude :roll: :roll:

There is good & bad in both hobbies but in my view far more bad in GCing!

No I don't read the GC forums, I was talking about T.C's post.

It comes as absolutely no suprise what so ever to me that you don't find the eye rolling smilie rude. I'll say no more.
bog_baby
Hiker
Hiker

Post by bog_baby »

Nik - KOTM wrote:TC I find your comments quite refreshing, I hope you don't really wish to leave the forum. It would definitely be a poorer place without you.
The Letterboxing community really is a forum for people who love Dartmoor, not just boxing, though boxing is the primary "sport" on the moor.
The voice of reason.
bog_baby
Hiker
Hiker

Post by bog_baby »

Dartymoor wrote:
Nik - KOTM wrote:though boxing is the primary "sport" on the moor.
Ah, now there's a challenging statement!

You might argue that walking is not a sport, but I would say the same of boxing since you don't have to do it in a competitive way, so I would call Walking the biggest sport and pasttime on Dartmoor based on man-hours?
Some people seem to be a little too competetive :shock: I have referred to letterboxing as a sport previously but your post set me thinking about it. I don't think moor walking can be classed as a sport as it's not competitive, can letterboxing be classed as a sport? Is it only a sport for those that do it competitively but a hobby to the others? No one could know how many people are letterboxing competitively though so I guess it's quite possible there could be more people geocaching competitively thus making that the primary sport on the moor :?: :?: :?:
The Wandering Artist
Trekker
Trekker

Turned to the dark side......got me thinking.....

Post by The Wandering Artist »

Well, all the above certainly makes interesting reading!
Can not help but wondering why we entertain GC`s on this a LETTERBOXING site.
Seems to me some have nothing else better to do in their lives other than provoke confrontation - but that is not unusual these days when you look at You Tube, Twitter , and Facebook!
I will bet that there are NO real letterboxers on a GC site doing the same! Why do I say this - because we real letterboxers are dedicated to our 'pastime' and not interested in American orientated .

Found a GC recently near William Well - had a book, pen, and a joke shop plastic finger in it.
Saying no more!
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Re: Turned to the dark side......got me thinking.....

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

The Wandering Artist wrote:Seems to me some have nothing else better to do in their lives other than provoke confrontation - but that is not unusual these days when you look at You Tube, Twitter , and Facebook!
Got it in one WA - what a shame this thread has sunk so low as to ignore the fact we are all on here to help one another and also to share/ discuss our hobby of letterboxing on Dartmoor. :cry: (oops must stop using smilies in case I insult someone - oh what the heck :wink: )
Dartymoor
Hiker
Hiker

Re: Turned to the dark side......got me thinking.....

Post by Dartymoor »

The Wandering Artist wrote: I will bet that there are NO real letterboxers on a GC site doing the same! Why do I say this - because we real letterboxers are dedicated to our 'pastime' and not interested in American orientated
A quick search of the geoaching forums tells a different tale, with dartmoor and letterboxing mentioned several times. Whether these people (like myself with somewhere over a thousand and around 28 years in the hobby) are "real letterboxers", I don't know. I do know I have spoken passionately about letterboxing to many people over the years, including geocachers.

As to why this discussion is entertained? Why not, when hundreds of other dartmoor-related-but-not-strictly-letterboxing threads have been started? It's pretty obvious from this discussion that it is a subject of interest to many.

Seems confrontation can come from several sources.
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Walking does lots of things for the body. Letterboxing also involves walking but the loose term "sport" means you gain something physical from doing it.
Tell me that "I have got x number of stamps today!" isn't someone throwing a challenge for someone else to try and beat
Nik 245 to go
John
Hiker
Hiker

Post by John »

Tamerton Chocolates wrote:So I find myself more and more just walking the dogs on my own out on the moor and having a bit of a scavenge without any gadgets and maps. It does mean the number of letterboxes found on a walk is only small - but they are almost always nice finds.
Hear, hear! Good for you. I walk on my own, no problem with that, and sometimes (usually??) find few boxes. I tend to plan the walk just as a walk, then simply see what boxes may be on the way. I can have a nice walk on the moors and find no boxes.

Sadly my dog died last November after a long illness, so no letterboxing for the past couple of years. Currently redecorating, then get another dog and then back walking/boxing together on the moors again :)

For 'gadgets and maps' I do use map and compass, take GPS but rarely use it, and write onto paper any clues I may want to look for on the walk (so no need to take the whole catalogue).
John
Hiker
Hiker

Post by John »

Dartymoor wrote:The LBT also clears geocaches when sweeping an area, but because of the notification system, the cache owner knows quicker than the letterbox owner (unless by chance not found by a friend or themself).
Okay, but does the LBT remove more geocaches because they are listed online? (Alternatively, would fewer geocaches be removed if they were not online?)

If not, then there is no real reason to suspect that more letterboxes would be removed by being online.

John.
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

OK - lets finally hit this one on the head. Letterboxes are privately owned, they are sited out on the moor with "permission" from DNPA there are restrictions that govern the siting of boxes, which don't seem to apply to some geocaching boxes, but these rules are all known to the letterboxer, but not necessarily to the geocacher.
The lists of GC boxes can be published online as there is nothing of value in the box. Quite often in a letterbox there is a semi-valuable stamp in the box, this is as you know, the visitors reference, and sometimes irreplacable. For the dartmoor letterbox thing to go online would require the permission of every owner of every box sited on the moor.
Nik 245 to go