Where to take a (4 year old) new recruit

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

bog_baby
Hiker
Hiker

Post by bog_baby »

Well we'll be down in Plymouth for a few days end of the week and it may even have dried off by then (weather wise, fingers crossed).......anyway we have a new 4 year old recruit (along with the 6 and 8 year olds) who has never been on the moors before and I was wondering where to take them. I don't know just how water logged the whole area is/if roads are flooded in places.....was thinking of going back to the Bone hill rocks, any other thoughts/ideas?
Parkhill Plodders
Ambler
Ambler

Post by Parkhill Plodders »

That part of the moor is sodden like the rest I suppose. Was on wind tor yesterday and was ok, and was on top and pil tor last week. Just wear the appropiate gear and all should be ok.
The Wandering Artist
Trekker
Trekker

Post by The Wandering Artist »

How about:
1.Park at Barn Hill and walk the numerous paths to Windy Post - Feather Tor - Heckwood Tor - Pew Tor and back to Barn Hill.
2. Park as above and up to Cox Tor - or skirt around it - lovely scenery!
3. Park as above and follow upstream to right of Coxs Tor to pond -cut right to Staple Tors follow ridge back to car park
4. Park at Two Bridges - path towards Crockern and follow towards Crow Tor but cut short to go up to Longaford Tor then back along ridge to Crockern, then car park.
5. Park in Princetown and take path alongside Plume of Feathers heading south to Hessory Tor then Nuns Cross Farm, then back.
6. Park at Princetown and walk the old railway line towards Foggintor and Swelltor Quarries etc. and return.

Have a great time , wherever! Wear the right gear and always ''be prepared'' for the unexpected.
Box Hunter
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Box Hunter »

A couple of other areas with lots of boxes which should be reasonably firm underfoot are Belstone Ridge and Row Tor.
Patience helps....
bog_baby
Hiker
Hiker

Post by bog_baby »

Thanks for the ideas - will locate them on the map and take it from there......
bog_baby
Hiker
Hiker

Post by bog_baby »

Well we walked the old railway line from Princetown as it was nearby for us coming from Plymouth. If was pretty cold and foggy but an easy path to follow and I would love to walk it again in the summer on a beautiful day. We followed a track that cut across at one point and headed towards Igra tor (I think) and got as far as a bridge down from Leeden tor (I think). I would have liked to have gone on to Ingra but the 4 year old was getting grizzly so we headed back. (Fortunately the new recruit was fine once she new we were on our way back t othe cafe for cake).
Thanks for the ideas!