General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Tamerton Chocolates
Hiker
Hiker

Ink

Post by Tamerton Chocolates »

What ink do some people use to stamp?

I collected a few boxes this lunchtime and the previous boxer had used several different colours of ink on the stamp. It looks almost impossible to be able to do this with a normal ink pad (unless there are really small ones?)

What was more annoying - I only use a bog standard inking pad and my ink simply didn't want to stick to the stamp. So I stood there fiddling with the dam thing for 10 minutes trying to clean it etc before it would take enough ink to make a print. And of course the next 3 I found were found by the same person!

Is it possible to use a marker pen of some sort to make an impression before the ink dries?
BBG
Drifter
Drifter

Post by BBG »

We always carry wet wipes to clean stamps, you can get small packs for £1 , the best ones we have found are Tesco's toddler wipes as they have a click top and don't dry out. I like the coloured pads , they are small and the stamps look good with them but I get annoyed when I find a stamp coloured gold or silver as that is difficult to remove.
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

I colour the stamps wherever possible with Tomp marker pens, but sometimes they look better in black with just the name coloured in. I always clean the stamp after I have used it though. The worst ink to clean off is the gold and silver or metallic inks. Like you I get annoyed when I see the stamp covered in that, as it seems to get in every nook and craney of the stamp. I'm sure it doesn't do the rubber stamps any good.
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

I detest the emulsion type inks as they always clog up the stamp, though the stamp quality is excellent at first, I prefer the good old wet ink pad, though blue is a real pain to dry
Nik 245 to go