Cowsic River

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

scottyplym
Hiker
Hiker

Cowsic River

Post by scottyplym »

On Sunday 26th May, Lauren and myself thought we would take a break from walking up tors and so walked the River Cowsic. Situated between Two Bridges and Great Mis Tor is a Holming Beam, where you can park.

Today was extra special as my 3 month old puppy called Jack made his letter boxing debut. Jack is a white, fluffy Bichon Frise, so I was expecting him to come back a different colour!

Walking past Poo Bridge, up Conies Down Tor, along to Maiden Hill, crossing too Devils Tor and walking back down lasted 7 hours. As you can imagine Jack was carried most of the way both in my arms and later on in my rucksack!

The weather was splendid, warm and with not a cloud in sight, this would explain why Jack misjudged a river jump and ended up in a river, nice and cool mind!

The area is lovely,many walkers out and about. There is much history around the River Cowsic, many old Celtic settlements and there is also a great big standing stone called the Beardown man.

To be expected going so far into the moors, many boxes we found were of a very high quality and had been rarely found. Some boxes needed care to force an imprint as they were falling apart, also found 3 letter boxes that were disintegrated and impossible to stamp.

We finished with 14 boxes and were absolutely shattered. I cannot even remember my pint at the Plume of Feathers after,let alone getting home. Needless to say Jack slept very very well that night and is now hungry to get to a 100 boxes.

Scott