Walking Poles

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Kenton Kestrel
Hiker
Hiker

Walking Poles

Post by Kenton Kestrel »

Has anyone got any experience of using them? Are they the benefit they claim to be?
Dartymoor
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Dartymoor »

I think they make you look a bit silly...

And from what I've seen, the Nordic style are touted as "giving you a full workout while walking" - as in they make it harder than walking without poles? Not sure if I'm right about that.

A single pole or stick has all kinds of applications and can be a help, but I often find it gets in the way so mine stays at home mostly.
Kenton Kestrel
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Kenton Kestrel »

Looking a bit silly comes naturally to me.

I was thinking more of taking some of the pressure off the joints. Having already got one false hip at a fairly young age I am trying to avoid another one!
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

I use just the one walking pole and its very difficult to letterbox with 2. Need other hand free to check compass and read clues. Also think you need at least one to poke under the rocks just in case something nasty is lurking under there :( Using just the one does make walking a lot easier if you are carrying an injury. I have a dodgy knee so always tend to take a stick with me.
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

I find that a pole is helpful and has stopped me from falling over more than once, which saves the knees, useful for poking under rocks, and the beauty of them is that being telescopic you can put one in a rucksack as well (if you want to use more than one) as being lightweight.
However, I am not sure how much lateral force is required to bend these things yet.
On the whole... definitely worth having
Nik 245 to go
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Walking pole

Post by Fulchet »

I bought one but didn't really get on with it so went back to an old fashioned wooden walking stick, which is easier to poke holes with. I found the rubber circle part way up the walking pole prevent me from getting into holes and also my hand was at an awkward position holding the pole.
next target 2000 - hopefully some time in 2010 (ha, ha, make that 2013)
Tina
Tamerton Chocolates
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Tamerton Chocolates »

I usually carry 1 pole. I don't so much use it for walking but it does frequently come in handy when crossing streams, jumping across rocks or checking for boggyness.

I have seen so many adders this year that I kindof hesitate where I stick my hands these days so that is the main reason I carry one.

Unfortunately price does make a bit of a difference. A few years ago I found a very expensive Leki in the middle of no-where and it is definitely much easier to use & carry then the cheapo I was using before.
blue danube family
Ambler
Ambler

Post by blue danube family »

I use two and have my GPS and compass in my coat pocket.
I bought them very cheaply at the Range are of Plymouth (I think Plympton or was it Plymstock).... Good quality.

Especially usefull for checking under rocks for boxes and I do not want a snake to bite me.