General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

markpepe
Drifter
Drifter

Hopping the Pond with another group

Post by markpepe »

Hi there

My name is Mark Pepe and I'm from the US. My wife and I are bringing another group of US letterboxers to the Moor for the third time. We visited in 2004 as the Bakers Dozen, in 2007 as Moor Torists and our new group is The Hounds of Boxerville.

We are staying at Blackadon Barn Cottages in Bittaford. We will be there from the afternoon of 29 August and leaving early am on 6 September.

We invite anyone who would like to walk with us or just stop by and say hello any evening. Also, if you have any WOM clues to share, we would appreciate those. You can drop them off for us beforehand with my name on them or bring them by early in the week so we can meet you.

In the past, we've met with God and Anne Swinscow and are sorry to hear of their ailing health. Roger and Stephanie Paul are stopping by Sunday evening for a visit. Hope you can join us early in the week some evening.

I would appreciate your advice on which tors are the best for scavenging. My wife and I will be eligible for our Dartmoor 500 patch, and while we are excited about that, my main excitement is to gaze again on the beautiful Moor. Having been to Cranmere and Ducks Pool, we would love to visit a other of those old, early letterboxes if they are still there.

We appreciate your reading this post and look forward to meeting you in a month at Blackadon!

Mark Pepe
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Welcome to the site Mark and Sue.
I hope you can make a few good connections with some of the others on here.
I had a look at your site the other day when I processed your application... you certainly look like you are very dedicated to the art of boxing, and I hope... no... I know you will be able to give something to this site.

I hope our paths will cross one day in the not too distant future.

Happy hunting
Nik 245 to go
markpepe
Drifter
Drifter

Thanks!

Post by markpepe »

I really have been a member since our first visit in 2004 but changed our email address so I opened a new account.

We, too, hope to meet someday. Letterboxing is more than a hobby; it's an obsession for so many reasons.

Cheers,

Mark
markpepe
Drifter
Drifter

Thanks in Advance!

Post by markpepe »

I just heard from Blackadon Barn Cottages in Bittaford, where our group of 17 will be staying. Apparently WOM clues have been arriving for us.

For those of you who have sent them, thanks so much! Hope to see some of you after 8pm on evenings we will be at Blackadon Monday through Wednesday nights.

We really appreciate everything. Can't wait to get there. For those of you on Facebook, I have a page called Pinecone Adventures on which I will be posting pictures and commentary every day. Hope you will "like" us so you can keep up with our adventures.

Mark Pepe
TheHappyWanderer
Drifter
Drifter

Good Luck

Post by TheHappyWanderer »

Mark, Sue and the rest of the Hounds........

Thanks for putting up with us for the weekend. Wish we could have stayed longer.

Good luck and happy boxing for the rest of your stay.
The Happy Wanderer

Old boxers never die.......they just run out of ink.
trekkernod
Hiker
Hiker

The Hounds of Boxerville

Post by trekkernod »

It is good to hear that you arrived safely back in the USA.
For myself I would like to say it has been a pleasure sharing a few days of your holiday and collecting Dartmoor letterboxes with you.
The ground was more challenging than your are all used to. You took it all in your stride and your determination carried you along. Not once did I hear anyone moan about the conditions.
Each walk had its own merits but I think the greatest reaction was when those who had not been before first gazed upon the letterbox at Cranmere Pool. A special thank you to Stephanie Paul for guiding the group.
I will treasure the memories of the few days we spent together on Dartmoor.

Don't leave it so long next time.
Best wishes
Noddy
Noddy
The Toytown Trekker
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

If there were a like button for your post Noddy I would have hit it....
Nik 245 to go