Clues for Haytor area/ Pil Tor area

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Lisa

Clues for Haytor area/ Pil Tor area

Post by Lisa »

Could anyone help? I took my children letterboxing for the first time yesterday. We went to Great Mis Tor and the weather was dreadful! It wasn't a great success because of the visibility but we still enjoyed it. We can't wait to go again but this time would like to go a bit closer to home - Haytor area, Hound Tor or somewhere not so far out. Has anyone got any clues for letterboxes to help us get started. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
NUMBER 70

Post by NUMBER 70 »

Park at the lower Haytor car park and walk across towards the quarry in that area, do not go into the quarry but have a look around the spoil heaps, these should be on your left and right handside, the left handside one is a little bit bigger and follow it around the corner. I have found several boxes there.

As for Pil tor Top tor area stick to the tors as there was about a dozen or so kids boxes around that one
Now a Sustrans Volunteer Ranger Group Coordinator on the Trans Pennine Trail
Crafty Jo

Post by Crafty Jo »

Can't help you with any clues - as haven't been to either area yet. But, welcome to the site. :lol:
Dizzy
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dizzy »

Hi Lisa, again welcome to the site.

I hate to say this passing on clues to persons that haven't found the first 100 boxes on their own can be a little tricky. I realise that this isn't you but there are people out there that wish to steal the boxes from the moors to spoil this lovely hobby.
This is why anyone wishing to aquire clues must normally find their first 100 and then you can join the Letterboxing Club to purchase a catalogue containing enough clues to keep you busy for many years.

We can all advise on the best areas for you to go and believe it or not you can actually find this amount of boxes in no more than four trips if you know where to go.

I hope this helps,

Dizzy
Visit my website and please leave a message on my new Guestbook!
http://www.letterboxstamper.co.ukhttp://www.devonartist.co.uk
The Lost Legionnaire
Hiker
Hiker

Post by The Lost Legionnaire »

I found my first box, a hand cut stamp called The Chief, on Top Tor in 1984. I wouldn't of thought it's still there though!

I was in that area (Top Tor, Pill Tor) during the summer to gather a 'one off' stamp that was placed there, and picked up about 5 other stamps.
"So I find myself among brave south western hills....................running like a madman on the moor"