How I started - Brinnie

A brief description on how you were bitten by the letterbox bug

Moderator: Moderators

Brinnie
Hiker
Hiker

How I started - Brinnie

Post by Brinnie »

I started letterboxing in 1993, my children who were at primary school at the time wanted to go because their friends were going. We set off to a piece of moorland near our home but couldn’t find any boxes. After talking to another parent and borrowing their Letterboxing Catalogue we were well away. My son reached his 100 badge before he go fed up and my daughter reached 200 before giving up. I still very much enjoy getting out on the moor and collect between 100 and 150 a month. Mostly word of mouth, I also get 100 club updates.
I have found letterboxing has changed a lot with the arrival of the GPS. In the days before the GPS when we just had the sighting compass I used find 15 to 20 boxes in a morning due to having to take bearing which all takes time. Now with the GPS we just follow the arrow. I went out last Monday and collected 45 boxes in one morning.
Brinnie
Boo Boxers

Post by Boo Boxers »

We tend not to use the clues, we just pick an area of the Moor and go wandering about.

I think we might have to invest in one of those GPS things though, they certainly seem to help.
www.4x4prejudice.com

676 found only 324 to go!
wooiee
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by wooiee »

i like picking an area and scouring it with the kids. while the mrs has the clue book out and pacing around :o
________
FORD GT70 SPECIFICATIONS
Last edited by wooiee on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slow and Steady
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Slow and Steady »

Hello Brinnie, out of interest where abouts on the moor did you go to pick up 45 boxes in a morning!!!! Please tell all!!!!
Brinnie
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Brinnie »

It was in the 4 winds area and then we moved on to Pew Tor.
Rixdale Rambler
Drifter
Drifter

How I started - Brinnie

Post by Rixdale Rambler »

I always carry a GPS with me, but only for emergencies. I think it takes the fun out of boxing if a machine tells you where to find the box. Yes it's great if you are chasing numbers, but I go out on most boxing days with a list of boxes to find, and come back with 25 - 40 using compass and map alone. I only use the GPS if the clue is 'iffy' or I'm running out of time. Or, as often happens the weather turns fowl.
Rixy
moorland wizard
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by moorland wizard »

We use a gps but tend to use the compass more than the gps at the moment, but double checking on the gps we are roughly in the right area, then down to good old fasioned looking, but still end up more or less not finding the box in the area we were searching.