A definite attempt at destruction of boxes on Saddle Tor

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

A definite attempt at destruction of boxes on Saddle Tor

Post by Nik - KOTM »

As everyone klnows Saddle Tor is the area for the junior letterboxers to "start" their letterboxing careers.
It seems there is contempt for these boxes out there and a (assumed) letterboxer is deliberately leaving the tops off the boxes, as opposed to stealing the things, so the weather destroys them - I know a fair number of them are "rubbish boxes" and I know a lot of letterboxers treat the area with contempt and frustration but these boxes are for children.
If you want to site a box make it a little more difficult and site it away from Saddle Tor and register it.
Let us leave Saddle Tor for the children to enjoy the open air and the beauty of Dartmoor - We do want children to actually get out and get fresh air into their bodies.
Nik 245 to go
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

Yes, it's such a shame. I'm all for children having a go at letterboxing and it's such a pity that someone is out to destroy their efforts.
next target 2000 - hopefully some time in 2010 (ha, ha, make that 2013)
Tina
Duckpool
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Duckpool »

I was on Top Tor last week, which is just over the road from Saddle Tor, and the rocks around the Tor itself are also used as a 'junior' starting area. I spotted a few where the box was still in situ, but the stamp had been stolen. One was from the box of an 8 year old boy who lived in Gloucester I think, and who wrote of looking forward to coming back to Dartmoor to check his box. A really rotten trick on young children.

Duckpool
Dizzy
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dizzy »

Yes, it's a shame the way things have gone with saddle Tor, I have a couple of boxes out there but admittedly very well hidden and off the beaten track.

We could do with coming up with a new ground for children to start letterboxing at, one that can be maintained but yet not so close to the holiday areas.

Dizzy
Visit my website and please leave a message on my new Guestbook!
http://www.letterboxstamper.co.ukhttp://www.devonartist.co.uk
Bunnymummy
Trekker
Trekker

Post by Bunnymummy »

Hear hear! I agree.
davejparry
Hiker
Hiker

Post by davejparry »

Dizzy wrote:Yes, it's a shame the way things have gone with saddle Tor, I have a couple of boxes out there but admittedly very well hidden and off the beaten track.

Dizzy
We went up to Saddle tor on Friday and found 47 stamps, woohoo! Most of which were in good condition and in dry boxes. We didn't think it was any worse than other tors we have been on.

We found Dizzy's 'bearing up' stamp and made sure we hid it very well. So don't panic it's still safe mate :)
panomobile
Hiker
Hiker

Post by panomobile »

47 wow. I haven't been to Saddle Tor yet but it looks like I will be going pretty soon :wink:
Duckpool
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Duckpool »

I was heading past Saddle Tor today and spotted a couple of boxes before a blizzard forced a rapid withdrawal to The Hound of the Basketmeals. But, coincidentally, of the two, one was Dizzy's 'Don't upset the ponies'. So that's both of Dizzy's boxes there safe!

Duckpool
The Searchlighters
Hiker
Hiker

Post by The Searchlighters »

Hi to all - Just to add my views as a new letterboxer. I took my 4 year old grandboy to Saddle Tor yesterday and he had a fabulous time, you should see the excitement on his face finding box after box. I do agree through that many of the boxes did seen to be damaged. On reflection however I do think we should have spent more time writing personal messages in the visitors books to encourage the children who have placed the boxes. Bearing in mind that most kids these days rarely get their heads out of TV and computer games any encouragement to get them safely on the moor is great