Is there a list of abreviations, terminology for clues???

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Trufflebuggy&Co
Ambler
Ambler

Is there a list of abreviations, terminology for clues???

Post by Trufflebuggy&Co »

Just wondering if there's a list anywhere of all the abreviations used in the letterbox clues???

The one which intrigued me the most is a PVC rock..... don't ask me why but I all I could get in my head was a vision of a rock in a very poor imitation leather jacket!!!! :lol:

When we found forementioned rock it wasn't dressed up at all and had veins running through it...... so I guess "veined" is the "V" in the PVC but whats the P and the C?!?!?!

Cheers

Steph
Stephanie, Grenville, James and little Fiona
Jones family on tor
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Jones family on tor »

Hi TruffleBuggy,
You will come across this many times. PVC stands for Part Veg Covered.
Trufflebuggy&Co
Ambler
Ambler

Post by Trufflebuggy&Co »

Thanks Steve.

Way off, in my guess then!!!! Could explain why we haven't found many boxes!!!! LOL :roll:

Trying to convince Gren to go up around Brat, Doe and Arms Tors tomorrow, to do abit of a two walks into one combo!!!! The weather doesn't look to bad considering what it was like here on Wednesday, and Saturday it's coming in again by the looks of it..... want to seize the day before my hols are over!
Stephanie, Grenville, James and little Fiona
John
Hiker
Hiker

Post by John »

A while back there was a whole series of letterboxes based around abbreviations. I must admit that sometimes I have to really think about what on earth an abbreviation means!

Some others to keep you going:

FP - Flag pole
OP - Observation Post (on the North moor)
TV/TVM/NHM/NHTM - North Hessary TV/Tor mast
HP - usually means 'highest point' of a tor

Others may refer to specific places - e.g. GLT - Great Links Tor

John.
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

Another is:

RP = Range Pole
next target 2000 - hopefully some time in 2010 (ha, ha, make that 2013)
Tina
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

A friend of mine came up wth the definitions of the size of rocks on the moor, so I cannot take credit for this...

Starting with the smallest
A grain of sand, impossible to hide a box under or behind, though a lot of grains can make a mound
Gravel, coarser than sand but smaller than pebbles, the same description as applied to sand.
A small pebble bigger than a medium pebblel, smaller than a medium sized pebble still unable to hide a box behind or under.
A medium sized pebble, bigger than a small pebble smaller than a large pebble, possible to hide a very small box under this perhaps a film cannister, though many put together would create a mound, not very useful apart from that.
A large pebble, bigger than medium sized pebble, smaller than a small rock. Able to use this to cover a medium sized box, but still cannot hide a box behind it can be defined between a rock and itself because it has a smooth surface.
A small rock - same as a large pebble but normally jagged in appearance useful for stacking up with other small rocks to hide a box in a hole, however smalller than a medium sized rock.
The medium sized rock - the first of the category where a box can be hidden underneath, harder to move than small rock, being larger, yet smaller than a large rock.
The large rock, very heavy but still not impossible to move, can be found in conjunction with other large rocks which is known as clitter. though smaller than the small boulder. Ideal hiding places can be found under and around the bases of these large rocks, can also be found on their own.
The small boulder, larger than the large rock tends to look like a huge pebble very difficult to move due to the weight but not impossible, a great hiding place for boxes underneath.
The medium sized boulder, can be moved with mechanical assistance, but smaller than the large boulder.
The large boulder, this thing weighs tons - it is very big and extremely heavy, hides all sorts of things, often in accompanyment of all of the above
An outcrop, this is a fixed amount of rock usually sticking out of the ground horizontally to a sloping ground, and ideal place to hide boxes.
Finally a Tor - this is also a fixed mass of rock only moveable by explosives. Home to all, some or none of the above. Great place for finding boxes around its base

I hope these definitions of rock sizes help your understanding of the descriptions of rocks
Nik 245 to go
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Here are a few more:-

Obv is Obvious i.e. obv large rock
LH - left hand
RH right hand.
Jv is just visible
sl or s/l is skyline.
vcr is veg covered rock
FP is also short for Finger Post
MB is mailbox
BS is Boundary stone
Oc or O/C is outcrop
m & s
Hiker
Hiker

Post by m & s »

TP - telephone point
RNB - Range notice board
P after a number - paces
MS - milestone
CG - cattle grid
The Sly Fox
Trekker
Trekker

Post by The Sly Fox »

I love those definitions Nik

I would add
small moon to that list. The size of some of the rocks I've had to move beggars belief sometimes. God only knows how one of the lady boxers is supposed to move them.
No sexism implied by the way girls
:wink:
This fox is the hunter, not the hunted !!
1,578 and counting ...
The Sly Fox
Trekker
Trekker

Post by The Sly Fox »

m & s wrote:TP - telephone point
RNB - Range notice board
P after a number - paces
MS - milestone
CG - cattle grid
Oh ... MS is milestone !!
I have been pointing my compass at moving sheep all these years
:lol:
This fox is the hunter, not the hunted !!
1,578 and counting ...
Blinch
Drifter
Drifter

Post by Blinch »

Wish I'd found this thread before our last trip to Datrmoor. 'vcr' had us completely stymied.
Brought back memories of VHS and Betamax, or whatever it was.
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

bump
Nik 245 to go
Maomoor
Drifter
Drifter

Re: Is there a list of abreviations, terminology for clues???

Post by Maomoor »

If a letterbox title has '(WW)' within it, what does this mean?

Thanks
kk
Hiker
Hiker

Post by kk »

WW is probably the owners. Woodford wanderers.
Maomoor
Drifter
Drifter

Post by Maomoor »

Thanks for thd info k.

Out searching again today and I swear I was bang on with two locations and found perfect hiding spots but non LB. loads of time wasted but managed to find two others. #slowprogress