Report missing or damaged boxes.

Moderator: Moderators

cloudwolf
Drifter
Drifter

Mixed up stamps

Post by cloudwolf »

Hi All
Just got back from my first letterboxing experience near Okehampton. Sunday September 27th was a lovely sunny day. We found 6 letterboxes and I am now hooked. One of the letterboxes though (Official number 40193), I think must have contained the wrong stamp. The details on the stamp that was there were:-SX 550 867. 586m F.B. No 3451. Dartmoor Trig Stations. Great Links. The box we were looking for was not at this set of coordinates. I've checked through the catalogue but cannot find where this stamp should be - or the number 3451. Anyway I left the stamp in the location that we found it. (Being new I did not know what else to do) I'm assuming that this stamp, although wrong, will count towards my first 100? In addition I'd be interested to know where the stamp that we did find should actually be, so that it can eventually be returned to its proper location. All best. Mark
Station Master
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Station Master »

Thats it you are hooked now.
cloudwolf
Drifter
Drifter

Mixed up stamps

Post by cloudwolf »

You may well be right!
whoisthechallenger
Trekker
Trekker

Post by whoisthechallenger »

Congratulations!

Your description of the stamp fits that of 'Figure This Out No.25 - Great Links Tor' (Box no.40193) perfectly. My understanding is that these boxes are coming in at the moment, so will be one of it's final visitors...

The grid reference on the stamp is that of the Trig pillar (triangulation station) on Great Links Tor summit - not the box's location.

All trig pillars have there own unique number: an FB (Flush Bracket) number. Those numbers had their own letterbox series many years ago!
If you want a site that explains it all in a bit of (too much?) detail, check out www.trigpointinguk.com.
cloudwolf
Drifter
Drifter

Mixed up stamps

Post by cloudwolf »

Hi and many thanks for the message
From what you are saying the stamp is indeed the correct one and in the right place. I was looking for Figure this Out 25 just south of Branscombe loaf, and it was listed as 40193. I was confused by the grid ref on the stamp and the number on the stamp; neither of which seemed to be what I was looking for. I now know better! :D There was a book with the stamp but it was damp. I tried to leave my personal stamp as best as I could. All best. Mark