Letterboxing OS Grid to GPS Software

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Colin
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Colin »

HI Sowerby Streaker
I presume you have the PC interface cable for your GPS? Did it also come with a copy of Garmin mapsource? if so you can download the tracks straight into it from your GPS, if not then there is a way to get a copy for free see the top post here http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=4802

This will give you the full version of map source with the world basemap all you then need to do is go to the transfer menu and receiver from device and select tracks.

There are lots of other programs out there that will do the same but I like using mapsource.

Any probs let me know

Colin
blue danube family
Ambler
Ambler

Post by blue danube family »

Wow, the program is getting better all the more...

Here some points however still ...

The Googlemap Waypoints are scattered in Googlemaps all over the world. Could you send me your Email Adress via PM and I will send you the screenshot. Also not always does the Googlemap appear, often the page is blank even if I select the rows by selecting the checkbox per row.

Conc. the .gpx still does not work at all for mapsource. For Anquet Maps and GSAK works about to around 100 selected clues, then does not load anymore.

Conc. Word Import (Grab function) that would be great. I would like to send you some of the WOM Word clues for you to view. Obsiously they are not always in a proper format, just text which is grouped together. Would need your emailaddress.

Filters: All there, fine, my mistake

Why not use your program for data entry of clues i.e. WOMS ... looks stable. It would be far far more easy to enter data with your program.
blue danube family
Ambler
Ambler

Post by blue danube family »

Concerning the issue of gpx export

.gpx "does not pass xml validation" ... "error in xml file line ... not well formatted"
this is what i get as error messages in the different programs when I load the .gpx file ...
Oxman
Ambler
Ambler

sbf files

Post by Oxman »

Hello there - I have downloaded your programme and it looks very useful -

I have been letterboxing for several years and have visited over 200 boxes the good old fashioned way (plus a few charity walks!) now I am keen to keep a record on my GPS and PC however I have a question -

I know that I can get the letterbox clues book from the meet but is there a digital version - I note you mention sbf files in this post - can these be paid for or do I have to create my own list from the book?
Badalika - Kenya boxers on the moor!!
Colin
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Colin »

Hi Oxman
there is an electronic version of the cat which can be purchased from Mike Holiday (his address is somewhere on the forum) Originally I wrote the app to read in the database file (SBF) from Mike Holidays program and convert the os grid refs to WGS84 coords (GPS format). Since then I have added various other features that people have asked me to add.
The latest version is v1.4.5

Hope this Helps

Colin
Oxman
Ambler
Ambler

Post by Oxman »

Colin - your a star! thanks

I will track down Mike Holiday for a digital catalogue.

Cheers :lol:
Badalika - Kenya boxers on the moor!!