Grant's Pot & Philpott's Cave

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

MagicHarry
Hiker
Hiker

Grant's Pot & Philpott's Cave

Post by MagicHarry »

Found Grant's Pot, just about managed to get inside, but the LetterBox wasn't there. There was a Geocache (I think) in a small round container, the log book was very soggy.

Also stumbled accross Philpott's Cave and it looks like someone is living in this cave. Candles on the ledges. A small fireplace (of which the ashes were still warm). Quite cosy.

I'd be interested if anyone else has been there recently......
Magic Harry
The Sly Fox
Trekker
Trekker

Post by The Sly Fox »

Missing? That is a real pity.
Grant's Pot was on my list of 'old' boxes to look for this year.
Did you manage to find the 50th anniversary box or Philpott's cave box?
This fox is the hunter, not the hunted !!
1,578 and counting ...
MagicHarry
Hiker
Hiker

Post by MagicHarry »

I couldn't find the letterbox in Grant's Pot, but I noticed that a there was a log on the Geocaching website, that someone had found it around Christmas time, maybe it is there, but I just couldn't see it - if you find it, let me know, as I'll be returning again this August.

I didn't have my clue book with me at the time, so wasn't aware that there was a letterbox near Philpot's Cave, if it's supposed to be inside, then I doubt it's there, as someone seems to be living in it......
Magic Harry
Tamerton Chocolates
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Tamerton Chocolates »

Last time I was there in september (to find the geocache), there where 2 letterbox stamps. If you crawled in the right hole, you can't really miss the letterbox.
Duckpool
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Duckpool »

Visited Grant's Pot on Friday but no sign of a stamp inside. It's been suggested that a stamp may be just above the cave - there is a rock in a likely position, with a handy hole underneath and a covering stone, but nothing in there. After three or four fruitless visits think I might give up on this one!
MagicHarry
Hiker
Hiker

Post by MagicHarry »

Hello folks, has anyone been to Philpots Cave recently - just wandered if you saw the mysterious person who lives there?
Magic Harry
Tamerton Chocolates
Hiker
Hiker

What do you mean "no stamp". Just the stamp missing or the entire box? I just read reports on the geocaching site that the ammobox was in place yesterday (no mention of its contents)
Duckpool
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Duckpool »

Tamerton, we found no stamp and no visible box; two of us went in, one after the other with torches (admittedly weak ones), but couldn't find anything. Might have just missed it somehow, but didn't think so.
Tamerton Chocolates
Hiker
Hiker

Last time I was there it was a box within a box. I seem to remember the outside ammobox is fixed into a man-made hole about 2 foot up from the floor on the right side when getting in so the box doesn't float away when the cave floods. You can't miss where it is supposed to go if you crawled in the right hole. I might be passing in the next few weeks, I'll have another look.
Tamerton Chocolates
Hiker
Hiker

Walked past last week and the box & stamps were fine.
aber_aos
Ambler
Ambler

Post by aber_aos »

I finally got up to Grant's Pot and Phillpott's on July 1st 2012 and can also report that both boxes were in place (as was the Grant's Pot geocache).

I found that the ammo tin was quite difficult to see in the cave - I had to take a long time for my eyes to adjust to the darkness, even with a powerful head torch. Tamerton Chocolates' description of the (Grant's Pot) box location is correct.
The Sly Fox
Trekker
Trekker

Post by The Sly Fox »

That's great news :D
Especially so beacause I have planned my next route around there. Just need some nice weather on one of my days off now.
This fox is the hunter, not the hunted !!
1,578 and counting ...
Ogwell Oddbods
Ambler
Ambler

Post by Ogwell Oddbods »

Visited here today and can report that letterbox is in Grant's Pot. The book is a little damp - nothing too bad at the moment. Great to find 'one of the old ones'!
The North South Yompers
Drifter
Drifter

Post by The North South Yompers »

Finally got up on the moors for the first time this year. Grants Pot is still there (as is the geocache above it). A fun experience getting in and out given I'm 6ft 5!

Spent ages looking for the cave, so special thanks to the lady who directed me to it, and also thanks to Tamerton Chocolates for the detailed positioning, as I missed it initially (very dark, even with a torch). Think its one of the best boxes I've visited, you don't get many in underground caves.

Also found Philpotts cave, certainly no-one living in there now.
brockie
Drifter
Drifter

Post by brockie »

Must have just missed you North South Yompers, we were also there on Sunday. Was good to see the box is still alive and well but didn't look like it's being regularly maintained - book was from 2008.