nice try!!!
We seek them here, we seek them......
The Wandering Artist
Trekker
Trekker

Missing Letterbox`s

Post by The Wandering Artist »

From Dragonsword:
''Personally, I would have ALL letterboxes registered, so we know who is responsible for them; and if you don't want them to go missing, make the effort to place them deeper into the moor.
After all, there is little challenge for us in picking up a box from the side of the road; and if the thief had to make more effort themselves, fewer boxes would go missing !

Your overall post of the 29th makes interesting reading.

As for the last section as above:
When you say 'ALL' letterboxes I take this to read all WOM and 'micky mouse'(no offence - intended) are included.
Where would 'ALL' letterboxes be registered?

Could be the LBT is getting more selective in the stamps to steal and looking for a better ,single, source of clues - just like the one you are recommending.

Food for thought!
Do you also expect 'ALL' letterboxes to be 'published' also.
I have placed boxes 'deeper into the moor' (as you suggested) and well hidden where no one, other than a dedicated boxer with a clue, would go - and still the boxes have been stolen.

I seem to notice from forum updates and other sources that a lot of the 'roadside' charity boxes, etc, are still around.
Gemma
Trekker
Trekker

Re: Missing Letterbox`s

Post by Gemma »

The Wandering Artist wrote:From Dragonsword:
''Personally, I would have ALL letterboxes registered, so we know who is responsible for them; and if you don't want them to go missing, make the effort to place them deeper into the moor.
After all, there is little challenge for us in picking up a box from the side of the road; and if the thief had to make more effort themselves, fewer boxes would go missing !

Your overall post of the 29th makes interesting reading.

As for the last section as above:
When you say 'ALL' letterboxes I take this to read all WOM and 'micky mouse'(no offence - intended) are included.
Where would 'ALL' letterboxes be registered?

Could be the LBT is getting more selective in the stamps to steal and looking for a better ,single, source of clues - just like the one you are recommending.

Food for thought!
Do you also expect 'ALL' letterboxes to be 'published' also.
I have placed boxes 'deeper into the moor' (as you suggested) and well hidden where no one, other than a dedicated boxer with a clue, would go - and still the boxes have been stolen.

I seem to notice from forum updates and other sources that a lot of the 'roadside' charity boxes, etc, are still around.

Spot on. Totally agree.
We seek them here, we seek them......
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

I can see the reasoning for having all boxes being registered, but that isn't what it is about. DLT's aside, boxing is freguently a challenge for friends with some quite obscure clues, which later in life make their way into the catalogue.

Sadly many of the boxes are lost or sited in the wrong place which makes them impossible to find.
Personally I like to try to contact the owner and give them some feedback on the state of their box, even if it is good condition.
Nik 245 to go
Duckpool
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Duckpool »

Charity boxes have been mentioned as not particularly vulnerable. Last week I had a go at the Mercy Ships walk where at least three well hidden boxes appeared to be missing (before rain stopped our play). On Friday we had a go at 'A Birds Eye view of Dartmoor'. The clues led us comfortably off the path - they would not have been found by chance - but the first three were missing at which point we gave up. The charity told us that 7 and 11 had been reported missing the previous weekend, so it rather looks as if someone has been after the lot.
The LBT is prepared to stoop so low as to steal from charities. What a creep.

Duckpool
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

This is the scary bit, at the letterbox meets the DLT is there purchasing the clues. So those of us who attend the meets actually rub shoulders with him/her. There is a strong possibilty that the DLT is also a member on these boards too.
The only message I have for him/her is I hope you are happy at denying those in need of funds by stealing. From my own point of view, there is nothing more callous and low by doing this. Why? Because people like myself don't do charity walks unless they are very new and stand a chance of being there... a couple of years back I did a walk on the day the clues were released and even then one box was missing - totally spoilt the walk for me.

I do not know who the DLT is but if I do find out ...
Nik 245 to go
Tamerton Chocolates
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Tamerton Chocolates »

Is there still a point of purchasing a catalogue and does any of you actually use it?

I usually only use it as a reference so afterwards I can check if a box I found was registered. However a few times now I have printed some clues from the catalogue to take with me while I was in an area walking or picking up some other boxes and/or geocaches but I never seem to be able to find them. And more often then not I find the exact place as described in the clue with a nice empty hole.
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Tamerton Chocolates wrote:Is there still a point of purchasing a catalogue and does any of you actually use it?

And more often then not I find the exact place as described in the clue with a nice empty hole.

I know the feeling, I seldom ever take clues out anymore as most seem to go walkabout, those that are close to a roads/popular areas etc. I just like to wander around seeing what I can find, it's more interesting for me
Nik 245 to go
brinbunny
Ambler
Ambler

Post by brinbunny »

I have the book, loaded some on the gps and check them off as we go, but our most popular technique is to dive under any and every rock, that way we find wom boxes, unregistered and catalogue boxes without getting angry they are not there.
The Basingstoke letterboxers - Tim and Ruth WE GOT 100 BOXES - WHOOP WHOOP - onwards and upwards . . . . .
Freemans of the Moor
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Freemans of the Moor »

brinbunny wrote:I have the book, loaded some on the gps and check them off as we go, but our most popular technique is to dive under any and every rock, that way we find wom boxes, unregistered and catalogue boxes without getting angry they are not there.
In our early days we adopted the same technique, but we found you could wear out walking sticks prodding and poking every rock and only cover a few 10's of yards (Still speak English!) in a day
If you are chasing numbers the only way is to study the clues for any given grid (Catalogue or Word of Mouth) and work those clues.