New Bunkhouse - Prince Of Wales

Where are the best hotels, guesthouses, and campsites?

Moderator: Moderators

trekkernod
Hiker
Hiker

New Bunkhouse - Prince Of Wales

Post by trekkernod »

Hi everyone,
I popped into the Prince of Wales yesterday (14/7/11)for a refreshing shandy , after a walk around Fox Tor during a very hot day. I was greeted by Terry (Landlord) and asked if I knew that the Bunkhouse was now up and running. I was unaware of this and was treated to a guided tour of the facility.
I must say I was well impressed. Obviously due to its newness it was all spic and span, but WOW!, what a smart bunkhouse it is.
Solidly built bunks with wide comfortable matresses, a drying room, roomy showers, a kitchen with all you need to knock up a meal (if you need to), a very smart lounge area, thoughtful and practical facilites for those with disabilities. There are a wide range of rooms sizes, on 2 levels, with the largest accommodating 10 person.
In my opinion, this is the best bunkhouse I have seen on the moor.
Look out for their new web site.
Well done Terry.
Noddy
The Toytown Trekker
Box Hunter
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Box Hunter »

I stayed in the bunkhouse on Sunday night. I haven't stayed in any of the other bunkhouses on the moor for a few years as I usually either camp or stay at Bellever YHA, so I can't compare with other local facilities. Terry was of course very welcoming, it is still spick and span and I can confirm that the beds were comfortable, but the walls are a bit thin. I could hear someone doing up a zip in the next room, every door being opened or closed, every step down the corridor or up the stairs (the lounge is above the rooms). There was hardly anyone there on Sunday night, but I can imagine it might be a bit noisy if it was full and people were stumbling in when the pub closed. I sleep quite heavily so it wasn't a big problem, but if you wake up at every sound, you might have an interrupted night.
Patience helps....