Hello and help wanted from Texas

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Open Space

Post by Open Space »

Hello Dartmoor letterboxers,
I've been exploring your fourm and thought I'd say hello and ask a favor. I'm a letterboxer in the states and I'm hosting a letterboxing event in October. The event has a theme that includes letterboxing history and I'd like to have a series of stamps with a Dartmoor style.

So I'm looking for either designs I can carve that represent something about Dartmoor (or it's history) or actual stamps if anyone has old ones that are retired or could use a new home. Nothing has to be original - if there are some classic designs I would be happy to make a new stamp based on those. Anything with a story or history behind it would be wonderful.

Thanks for any help with this, and any other ideas you may have are appreciated!

Open Space from Houston Texas
Open Space

Post by Open Space »

Well it looks like no one is interested. I apologize if I've asked for too much. It's pretty common over here to ask for help on stamps for events.

Can someone at least point me toward some resources that might help? I've found several images Dartmoor stamps, so I can create something in the same style, but I'd really like the subject to relate to specific places or stories related to letterboxing.
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

I can assure you on this site we always try to help fellow letterboxers, but your request is different. Just because no one has answered doesn't mean they are not interested. You are asking for actual stamps, which a lot of us have but have them sited on the moors. You also ask for pictures of Dartmoor - there are various sites that you can go on to pick up those. Lots of Dartmoor based themes are used over here - we have series of Millstones, Settlements, Mines, Churches, Villages of the Moor, Mystic Legends, Gems in Granite settings, Pixies and Little People of the moor. We have series of Tors, woods, trees, Dartmoor Lanes, Flora and Fauna. Beautiful Otter stamps and Foxes, Badgers etcc. So you should be able to find pictures of any of those topics on the internet.
Tamerton Chocolates
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Tamerton Chocolates »

This site:
http://www.legendarydartmoor.co.uk/

should give you all you could ever want to know as a basis for your "dartmoor themed" stamps
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Perhaps the most copied design for Dartmoor stamps comes trom Crossings guide to Dartmoor with easy to carve imitations of scenes from Dartmoor.

BTW sorry for not responding earlier but I was exceptionally busy the past few days upto my elbows in filthy grease trying to get my car through an MOT
Nik 245 to go
The Wandering Artist
Trekker
Trekker

Post by The Wandering Artist »

Dartmoor being approx 365 sq mls someone - John Hayward produced a book 'Dartmoor 365' - ISBN0 9514037 2 9 (reprinted in 1993)

You will find something of interest on each square 'mile' of the Dartmoor National Park in this book Many boxers have been inspired to create a Dartmoor themed set (s) of stamps based on the pictures and content of the book.

Hope this helps in some way

TWA
Open Space

Post by Open Space »

Thanks for all the great information :D That website is wonderful and I'll go look for the books.