'Missing' Boxes

Report missing or damaged boxes.

Moderator: Moderators

ianjp67
Drifter
Drifter

'Missing' Boxes

Post by ianjp67 »

Having just taken up letter boxing myself, (well two years ago), as my parents, brothers & my own children were 'into' it, I thought I'd go the whole hog & put some boxes out on the moor when camping on Dartmoor in August.
We had a great few days visiting lots of Tors and found 92 stamps and finding suitable hiding places to put out our letter boxes.
Clues sent off for inclusion in the catalogue once back home and they appeared in the September update.
Imagine my dismay when by the time the next update came out one of the stamps were reported as 'missing'. In the next few updates the number of 'missing' stamps increased. My brother, who was letter boxing at the end of October found one of the boxes, deviod of the stamp but book still there, rather wet!!
Why do some people want to spoil others enjoyment, I mean what do they get out of it??
Anyway, I'll be doing WOM clues from now on, and just registering in catalogue with no grid refs.
The Wandering Artist
Trekker
Trekker

'Missing' Boxes

Post by The Wandering Artist »

It is always sad to hear of peoples boxes having gone missing ,even more so when you are new to the 'hobby' and trustingly put your clues in the catalogue.
To go WOM could be a right move (though I am sure there are those who will disagree) but remember your trust is in the person(s) you pass your clues to - and not to anyone else they are then passed on to!
Putting the clues in the catalogue is personal choice, but again remember modern technology makes it so easy to GPS the location and then email / mobile phone it on to others (the tip or the pyramid!).
Do not let this spoil your enjoyment though, or allow some ------------- to deter you from it. Over the years I reckon to have lost about 20% of the boxes I have put out. Sadly a lot of them in recent years even after being safe on site for over 15 years!
bog_baby
Hiker
Hiker

Post by bog_baby »

Aw I'm really sorry someone has stolen some of your boxes :( it seems to be happening a lot :?
There seems to be someone/a group of people really dedicated to doing it (using clues from the book/meet/charity walks). I don't know their reasons but it wouldn't surprise me if they collect the unique stamps to keep for themselves (knowing obviously that is not their intended purpose). If the reason was to clear the moor of plastic or just to take boxes for a laugh I don't think they would bother going to such lengths when there are so many kids boxes in certain areas that really could do with a bit of clearing.
It's a real shame that they feel the need to ruin it for everyone else.
ianjp67
Drifter
Drifter

Post by ianjp67 »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Having noticed that the monthly updates now only have 6 digit grid refs, rather than quoting the full 10 digit ref, it means that the LBT(s) now have to do some 'work' to find any new boxes.

I'm considering going down to recover my remaining boxes & resite them. Either when I'm down for the meet next month or when I'm down in April for a few days. I'll then pass on the full details via WOM and provide 6 digit grid refs for the catalogue, or even just get them registered in there quoting just the grid square.

Good idea or not??
The Restells
Drifter
Drifter

Post by The Restells »

yep - sad to say but it may well mean they last a bit longer :(
Stamping the moor one box at a time :)