Letterboxing Database

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

reg the bullmastiff
Hiker
Hiker

Post by reg the bullmastiff »

Database Spreadsheet. Adder Grass Snake. You say TOMATOE I say TOMATO "Lets call the whole thing off?" :wink: :D
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

I am self taught in databases and spreadsheets, but there plenty of books out there on how to do it. The trick for learning both is to go through the books one page at a time and not to skip pages no matter how boring it is.

The trick is to decide upon your layout on a bit of paper before you turn your computer on and the adapt your program for it.
The big problem with spreadsheets is the macroprograms you might want to run in it. A lot of antispyware and virus programs don't like it, and the other problem with macros is that you need to work out every step of the routine before instigating it, otherwise you have to delete it and start again.

If you have difficulties in trying to get it going you can always ask... might as well make my diploma in computer applications do something for others
Nik 245 to go
ianjp67
Drifter
Drifter

Post by ianjp67 »

Data base Done!!!! :D

Now just gotta keep it up to date!!
Colin
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Colin »

Nik is right, the main thing with any development is planning, I spent many years as a database developer and the key things are design / planning and wherever possible making things modular so it is easy to add additional functions at a later date.

Colin
Everyone has a photographic memory. My problem is I don't have any film.

www.colin-masters.com
Gemma
Trekker
Trekker

Post by Gemma »

Nik - KOTM wrote:I am self taught in databases and spreadsheets, but there plenty of books out there on how to do it. The trick for learning both is to go through the books one page at a time and not to skip pages no matter how boring it is.

The trick is to decide upon your layout on a bit of paper before you turn your computer on and the adapt your program for it.
The big problem with spreadsheets is the macroprograms you might want to run in it. A lot of antispyware and virus programs don't like it, and the other problem with macros is that you need to work out every step of the routine before instigating it, otherwise you have to delete it and start again.

If you have difficulties in trying to get it going you can always ask... might as well make my diploma in computer applications do something for others
I can't recall any macro I have run, causing a problem to antispyware or antivirus, I guess I have been lucky.That said I have also developed an number of Database applications again not had any "run" errors. :D :D
We seek them here, we seek them......
Colin
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Colin »

Gemma wrote:
Nik - KOTM wrote:I am self taught in databases and spreadsheets, but there plenty of books out there on how to do it. The trick for learning both is to go through the books one page at a time and not to skip pages no matter how boring it is.

I can't recall any macro I have run, causing a problem to antispyware or antivirus, I guess I have been lucky.That said I have also developed an number of Database applications again not had any "run" errors. :D :D
Back in the Day there were a lot of Marco Virus's written using Word / Excel Macro's. Microsoft introduced a lot more security ref running macro's in both word and excel. I think now by default in Excel 2010 they are disabled by default unless you change the security level. Of course if you are using excel then it is not a database. :D
Everyone has a photographic memory. My problem is I don't have any film.

www.colin-masters.com
blue danube family
Ambler
Ambler

Post by blue danube family »

I think the best bet is following:

Free: Colin Masters Letterboxing Program www.Colin-masters.net. This is the best program I believe out there for letterboxing and excellent when working with GPS Garmin devices.

Then buy the letterboxing database from Colin Richards (updates also from him, but you need to pay Malcom Alldridge for the updates).
Load the database into Colin Masters program and you are fit to go.

Works great. Satelitte views, OS 1:25 view etc..

Phil