file systems

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

devon steamer
Ambler
Ambler

file systems

Post by devon steamer »

ok all of you have a system to work out your clues,some use the older way and write down the clues in grid order on cards and others use computer programs to enter data and tranfer the gps numbers on to the gps through usb cable.
ok my main point is the program i use has gone tits up and all my clues have seem to have gone as well.
has anyone got any susgestions of a good pc program for letterboxing or a good way other then using a pc.
please help me
Dartymoor
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Dartymoor »

There's a couple of really good free programs that come to mind;

http://www.colin-masters.net/dartmoor/l ... index.html is bespoke for letterboxing. It doesn't come with the existing database but you can import it, or add your own using gpx and other formats.

Garmin also do a free program called Basecamp which, when used with the free OpenStreetMaps (Easy to add, see http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm and download the set for PC). It'll also manage tracks from gps's very well and I now have a map of lots of wiggly circles of where I've walked , with different colours based on years. Nerdy I know, but I like it :)

Basecamp will work with all GPSes that use GPX format by the way, it's not Garmin-only.
blue danube family
Ambler
Ambler

Post by blue danube family »

Best ist Colin Masters Program and buying the database clues from Colin Richards.

Then use a GPS Montana or Oregon and you can load the clue descriptions and coordinates directly to these devices.

If using the Montana, also buy the 1:25.... Dartmoor electronic Map which you can use. Then you have a map of Dartmoor on your device and pins where all the boxes are on the map incl. clude descriptions.