Foxtor Mires

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

bigdave
Ambler
Ambler

Foxtor Mires

Post by bigdave »

I went out to have a bit of a walk over to fox tor today as it is one place i have never been and saw on my map that there was a bridleway/footpath that ran across the middle of the bog, does it still exist or has the bog reclaimed it as i could'nt seem to find it :(
70 to go
dap
Drifter
Drifter

Fox Tor mire path

Post by dap »

A long time ago the route was marked with spots of paint on rocks. I have tried this 'path' a few times when the weather has been particularly dry for a good while and although I got safely to the other side I lost the path on many occasions. thank goodness for yeti gaiters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would NOT attempt a crossing during wet periods but I believe there is a route over the mire that I haven't found yet.
bigdave
Ambler
Ambler

Post by bigdave »

Sounds like nature has reclaimed it then, i tried passing it to east and had to cross a couple of streams and some quite marshy ground, but i was running out of daylight so had to head back.
I think next time i will go around the west side of it and while i am over there have a look for the old track.
70 to go
Tamerton Chocolates
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Tamerton Chocolates »

It is there but really hard to find, especially if you come from Whiteworks - it is slightly easier coming from Goldsmiths cross although I haven't tried it after all the wet weather recently. Easiest way around is to follow the leat and then the dry stone wall to fox tor. It is also possible to cross the Swincombe if you are agile enough and go round that side via Childe's tomb.
The Wandering Artist
Trekker
Trekker

Foxtor Mires

Post by The Wandering Artist »

Quite a long time ago I crossed the mire - with the hair standing on end!
I followed a green path along the mounds to the last of the mounds, towards the west of the mire.
Slightly to the East of the last mound was the rotting remnants of what was, I imagine, a footbridge of some sort. This spanned boggy areas between relatively firm islands slightly higher than the rest of the bog.
The pathline (green) shown on the OS map is not far from where it runs.
bigdave
Ambler
Ambler

Post by bigdave »

Thanks all i saw the leat leading around to the stone wall as i was driving out of whiteworks and thought that was probably a much better way to get there didn't even look on the way in as the map showed a proper route across.

I did get around the swancombe side of the mire but as you say it is quite tough going that way around.

I had a coffee around 625708 and think the bad bit's where behind me by that point but as it was gone 4pm i decided to turn back

Next time im out i shall give it another go and try to find the track leading back from goldsmith's cross which now i know the name of it i will make a stamp to put out while im there :D
70 to go
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

I have been across it twice... I am not going to ever attempt it again, to say I was worried would have been an understatement.
However, I have been informed that the mire used to be ten feet higher, almost up to the wall. But, since it has been drained somewhat the level is much lower.
I don't think I ever found a proper path across it
Nik 245 to go
Warminster Things
Drifter
Drifter

Foxtor Mire Path

Post by Warminster Things »

I used to use the path everytime to get across quickly.
It is still there, but because of the very wet weather I wouldnt recommend using it . If you make a mistake, you will spend all your time backtracking and then backtracking again trying to get back on to it, you will also get very black .
Duckpool
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Duckpool »

I've been across quite a few times and found that it's OK for a hundred yards or so from Whiteworks, then there's a fair bit of bad stuff and then the last half or more is fairly straightforward. Going from the Whiteworks end you seem to be able to follow a semblance of path that tails away half way through (or I lost it). And the target cross isn't easily visible from there so you just press on and cross fingers. Which makes coming back harder as you have to pick up the route in the middle - on occasion I have come back round the leat as the easier option. But I certainly wouldn't give it a go in wet conditions.
Dartymoor
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Dartymoor »

Used it quite a few times, last on June 2nd, 2012 at the end of the dry spell. Southern end is easy to find, it starts at Goldsmith's cross ( N 50° 30.909 W 003° 57.169 British Grid: SX 61650 70201). Well worn path NNW towards whiteworks buildings. There's a big hump just before the river (N 50° 31.077 W 003° 57.329 British Grid: SX 61469 70517) - had a sheep's skull there last time. Then there's a railway sleeper over the river.

Immediately after that it goes a bit crap. Squelchy and boggy for about 40 meters with no path and several very suspiciously bouncy bits. Once past that, the land rises and it's gravy all the way to whiteworks. Saw a litter of fox cubs in one of the old mine workings then, nice moment.

I've never failed to find the path when approaching from the south, nor had to turn back - but this mire does deserve respect.
Brinnie
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Brinnie »

I have used this path many times, but only on the return trip, as the WW end can be wet, you don't want to start a walk with wet feet! Perhaps the DNPA could do some path maintenance for us!