Got cranmere pool

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

bigdave
Ambler
Ambler

Got cranmere pool

Post by bigdave »

After a very deflated walk at the start of last year when i came back without finding the cranmere box, i decided to give it another go yesterday.
I started out from fernworthy then went up through the woods over manga hill, i headed slightly to the right of the peat pass and chose to skirt around the edge of hangingstone hill before going over the top, then didn't realy get to any boggy bits untill just after taw head, i must say that it was a much drier and easier route than the one i tried last year.
70 to go
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Well done on getting there - hope you got a good copy of the stamp and made time to read the book. Have many people been to it lately now that it is quite a trek out there?
scottyplym
Hiker
Hiker

Post by scottyplym »

Congratulations Big Dave, hope to acheive the same outcome in forthcoming weeks. :)

scott
bigdave
Ambler
Ambler

Post by bigdave »

there where a few from saturday but none foolhardy enough to have done it yesterday, i did read a couple of pages but put it back quite quickly as the rain started coming in :(

good luck in your quest scottyplym hope you have better luck than my first attempt
70 to go
The Sly Fox
Trekker
Trekker

Post by The Sly Fox »

Well done Dave :)
I remember the joy when I finally got it (quite a trek from Princetown)
This fox is the hunter, not the hunted !!
1,578 and counting ...
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Cranmere Pool

Post by Fulchet »

Well done. I was so chuffed with myself when I collected Cranmere, Ducks Pool and Fur.

I'm hoping to get out to Cranmere and Ducks Pool again some time as I've had a couple of "Tina visits..." stamps made up ready. :lol:
next target 2000 - hopefully some time in 2010 (ha, ha, make that 2013)
Tina
Kenton Kestrel
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Kenton Kestrel »

Visited Cranmere Pool for the first time yesterday. Parked at OP22 and went via Ockerton Court down to the West Okement and along to the box. Not easy getting down to the West Okement but found a good track to follow on the way back up which took half the time (saved to GPS for future visits). The ground was a bit boggy due to the recent heavy rain and would be a very interesting walk indeed after a period of sustained rain.

I stood at the box trying to imagine how many people had made this journey over the years since the box had been established. If you haven't been, give it a go before the weather changes. The route was just over 8.5 miles.
Tamerton Chocolates
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Tamerton Chocolates »

I find the walk from OP22 to OP15 / Ockerton court really boring. Shame they closed the ringroad. They have even resurfaced most the potholes not too long ago.
Warminster Things
Drifter
Drifter

Cranmere pool and the Ring Road

Post by Warminster Things »

With reference to the pot holes being filled.
I have heard from somebody who works for Landmarc that it is being considered wether to re open the road. But dont get your hopes up to much as even if it does happen, there is bound to be a catch .
Kenton Kestrel
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Kenton Kestrel »

Tamerton Chocolates wrote:I find the walk from OP22 to OP15 / Ockerton court really boring. Shame they closed the ringroad. They have even resurfaced most the potholes not too long ago.
As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally find the views from OP22 to OP15 and return along the same route via Deep Ford rather good and have never suffered from boredom.
Tamerton Chocolates
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Tamerton Chocolates »

Boring is perhaps the wrong word. I just personally don't really like spending 2 hours of a walk on tarmac.
Dartymoor
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Dartymoor »

When I did it, two years ago, I was quite glad of the tarmac - fog had come down in august and without it I would have had trouble navigating as I'd never walked that area before, and in fact was the first time I'd ever gone onto those military roads. That was actually the trip that persuaded me to get a GPS!