General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Adam Ant
Ambler
Ambler

Lakeland Letterboxes

Post by Adam Ant »

Hello,

We're going up to the Lake District next week and, whilst Michelle and her sons go out and do some adventurous stuff (some sort of high wires that fill with me dread and foreboding...), I'm going to have a pop at scaling Scafell Pike and possibly Skiddaw on another day if possible. Having looked on the Internet for potential routes, I managed to find some clues for boxes that I will definitely try and locate.

I understand that this is a Dartmoor letterboxing forum, but, if anyone has any clues or details of where to find them for these two mountains, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes,
Adam Ant and Milty on the Moor
Kenton Kestrel
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Kenton Kestrel »

If you get the chance try the Bridge Inn, Santon Bridge for a meal. Very good reasonably priced food and the venue for the annual World's Biggest Liar competition.

I have no idea whether you know the area, but a trip up and over Hardknott Pass is fairly spectacular.

Sorry no clues. Have a great holiday.
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

It is a shame that Ian Kirkpatrick's - Off Dartmoor Letterbox catalogue is no longer available on the link I had... unless someone out there knows otherwise
Nik 245 to go
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Ian's website is no longer available. I enquired a while back as I always liked to see who has completed the Perambulation and to read their stories. He took it down because of the increased cost levied on it.
Shame he was - still is - such knowledgeable letterboxer.
Colin
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Colin »

You could use a web archive website to access a snapshot of it,
for exmple here is one from last year

http://web.archive.org/web/201210262301 ... net.co.uk/
Everyone has a photographic memory. My problem is I don't have any film.

www.colin-masters.com
Adam Ant
Ambler
Ambler

Post by Adam Ant »

Many thanks to you all. We're off in the morning - I'll let you know how I get on.
Adam Ant
Ambler
Ambler

Post by Adam Ant »

Hello,

I managed to get up Scafell Pike which was a truly beautiful walk. The final mile or so was up in the clouds and visibility was down to about 10 yards so the views were non-existent. However, I got some beautiful pictures on the way down and would thoroughly recommend the hike to anyone. It's about a 9 mile linear route from Seathwaite and took me about 5 hours in all. The ascent is pretty hard, but the descent played havoc with my knees... Unfortunately, I failed to find either of the letterboxes that were supposedly on the summit. To be fair, there was a very large group of walkers at the top so I'm not sure how long boxes would survive up there.

Two days later I had recovered sufficiently to have a crack at Skiddaw which is England's 4th highest mountain. I set off from Keswick with trepidation as the weather was sunny, warm and quite humid. I managed to get a good pace up, but, on reaching Jenkin's Hill, the conditions really became difficult and it was a real struggle to reach the top. Nevertheless, I managed to plod on and got up to the summit of Skiddaw ridge in good time. I managed to find a box just off the Northern end of the ridge (a really beautiful stamp sited by a gentleman from Plymouth...) and got back down to Keswick in about 5 1/2 hours. Although the navigation for this walk was very easy (a very wide a distinct path leads straight up to the summit), I must admit that it was, unlike Scafell Pike, a very featureless climb and nowhere near as enjoyable. Regardless of this, the views back over Keswick are stunning and worth the trip. Just make sure that the weather is nice and cool before you set off! It's an 8 mile linear root from Keswick, but you can reduce this by starting from Latrigg CP.

We also managed to get in some canoeing on Derwent Water, gorge scrambling in Coniston and saw a brilliant falconry display in Lowther. The Lakes really are a beautiful area which I would definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys being outdoors.
whoisthechallenger
Trekker
Trekker

Post by whoisthechallenger »

Congratulations on finding a box up there! I completely agree that the Lakes are a spectacular place to walk and explore. Fabulous views, and incredible climbs. I only tried for one box in the Lake District. Located on the terrifically named peak - Haystacks. I could not find it, and I feel that just as you found on Scafell Pike, the place is simply too busy.
A Dartmoor Letterboxing blog:
www.who-is-the-challenger.blogspot.com
Stiggy73
Drifter
Drifter

Re: Lakeland Letterboxes

Post by Stiggy73 »

I realise that this thread is a few years out of date, but I thought this info may be useful to anyone who stumbles across it, as I did.

The off Dartmoor letterboxing database is still up and running here - http://www.gamblenet.me.uk/