General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Sas Watson
Drifter
Drifter

New to letterboxing

Post by Sas Watson »

Hi,

I am new to letterboxing. My partner and I were walked out to King's Tor over the weekend. We found one box under a rock by a little tree. There was no stamp in it and it wasn't clear who the owner of the box was. We carried on searching till the weather came in! Sadly we didn't find anything else.

I am looking for some encouragement really as we weren't that successful!! Should we have found more as it is a large area?

Can anyone suggest some beginner friendly Tors to walk to and hunt?

Many thanks
Sas :)
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Welcome to the site, Sas.
Years ago there used to be dozens of stamps all around Kings Tor, anywhere up to 90 of them. About 5 years ago the whole area was cleared of all stamps by a non-letterboxer (possibly a farmer).
I was out there a couple of years back and didn't find any. However, don't despair there are loads around, but not there. I would suggest Pew Tor as an opening place, before the bracken takes over. You should find a good twenty or more.

My first trip out boxing I came up with a big fat zero... but I was hooked from that point.
Nik 245 to go
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Hi Welcome to the forum - lots of info on here for newbie letterboxers, just try and read a few of the threads. That box you found sounds like it may have been a Geo-cache. These are different from letterboxers as - in my opinion - contain nothing but a scrap of paper and a few christmas cracker toys! A true letterbox will contain a lovely stamp for you to take a copy of and also a reasonable sized book for you to stamp your own stamp in to say you have visited the box.
Another very good area would be walking out from behind the Dartmoor Inn, Lydford (not the one at merrivale) and searching around the slopes of Arms Tor and Brat Tor. Even a stroll along the Lyd river bank should yield a few for you. Good luck, be patient, loads of boxes out there.
Sas Watson
Drifter
Drifter

Post by Sas Watson »

Thanks Nik - We thought that there should have been a lot there. At least we know why we found nothing!! Thank you for your suggestion, we will try there, with hopefully more luck.

Thank you Sowerby Streaker - I thought thatt was more the sort of thing we were looking for. We nearly walked up Widgery Cross area!! We will have to give that a go.

Many thanks
Sas
jennsie
Drifter
Drifter

Post by jennsie »

I'm hoping someone will post about where to send off for charity walks soon as I was hoping to go over easter. I was never successful finding boxes without co-ordinates, so I love the charity walks.
trekkernod
Hiker
Hiker

Charity Walk clues

Post by trekkernod »

Jennsie,

There is a comprehensive list, of all of the currently available Charity Walks, in the Charity Event section.
They have been there for a few weeks now. Plenty to chose from.

Noddy
Noddy
The Toytown Trekker
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Thanks Noddy for pointing them in the right direction. Think thats the lot for this year, but will double check when the new update comes out.