What are the worst areas for boxes stolen/removal?

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

What are the worst areas for boxes stolen/removal?

Post by Nik - KOTM »

I am trying to see what the worst areas are for stolen/missing boxes as opposed to the best areas.
I know Yellowmead farm was hit hard a few years back.
And all Newtakes are supposed to be clear of boxes.
The Staple Tors have been hit by the DLT

Any other areas?
Nik 245 to go
The North South Yompers
Drifter
Drifter

Post by The North South Yompers »

Sadly I don't get on the moor as much as I used to , but last year we went to Laughter Tor and Bellever and it was the worst place I have been for stolen boxes in the 29 years of boxing I have done.

It does feel like more and more boxes get stolen nowadays, or maybe that is me wearing rose-tinted glasses from the 80's. :D
Adam Ant
Ambler
Ambler

Post by Adam Ant »

We've always found Corndon and Yar Tors bereft of boxes in the past. We recently went to Hameldown and most of the boxes that we searched for were missing. The area around Littaford, Longaford, Higher White and Crow Tors has been similarly disappointing. Obviously, the areas nearer to parking areas have a high turnover of boxes as more day-trippers start rummaging, but, once you get more than a mile or two into the moor, I think that missing boxes are a clear indication that a miscreant is at large as there's no way that people will stumble on them by chance.
Adam Ant and Milty on the Moor
whoisthechallenger
Trekker
Trekker

Post by whoisthechallenger »

Peek Hill, Sharpitor, Leather Tor and Sheeps Tor have always struggled to retain letterboxes. As Adam Ant says, their proximity to the roads and car parks and accompanying day trippers have been their downfall.

That plus the impenetrable giant clitter around Leather Tor...
A Dartmoor Letterboxing blog:
www.who-is-the-challenger.blogspot.com