A brief description on how you were bitten by the letterbox bug

Moderator: Moderators

The Sly Fox
Trekker
Trekker

The Sly Fox

Post by The Sly Fox »

Hi all,

I personally got involved when I was in the Boys Brigade at 11 years old. Whilst doing a sponsored walk along the old railway line from Yelverton to Princetown. We bumped into a group of letterboxers near Foggintor Quarries stamping a box. I remember even now that it was Commando - Abseiling. They explained what the hobby was and we were all both intrigued and excited. We camped at the Plume of Feathers that night and spent the follwing day letterboxing, under our captain's watchful eye, around Foggintor and Swelltor Quarries. We found four that day and I have been hooked (19 years on) ever since.

I did find two about 3 years before that, however, I never realised what letterboxes were. That was another sponsored walk, this time with St Edwards Primary School, from Burrator to Princetown. I also remember which ones (blimey, I have a good memory). Anybody remember a frog stamp at Crazywell Pool and a jubilee lamp at South Hessary Tor? I wish I stamped them then.

I managed to find my first 100 in less than a year, 200 within another 3 months, 500 within 6 months again. Alas, I never went once for over ten years and still do not have 1000. Only 28 to go!

*CORRECTION*

I do have 1,000 now ... 1,002 ... yippee !!
Last edited by The Sly Fox on Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This fox is the hunter, not the hunted !!
1,578 and counting ...
Dizzy
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dizzy »

Hi Fox, The Plume of Feathers at Princetown brings back memories for me too on my first letterboxing walk.
I also camped behind the pub after a couple of pints by the log fires near the bar. I still remember to this day as I was trying to get to sleep in my tent someone saying "Hey look, these condoms really do glow in the dark!"
I set off with the late Dave "Hagar" from the pub first thing in the morning and headed off to Cut Hill, I felt rough though due to a bad night with ashma problems (must have been the log fire!), but we got there found I think 21 stamps and of course I was hooked inmediately!

This was about 9 years ago and like you have taken some time away from the moors due to work and commitments. I now have 1721 stamps and can't wait to get the 2000 badge! :D

Paul
Visit my website and please leave a message on my new Guestbook!
http://www.letterboxstamper.co.ukhttp://www.devonartist.co.uk
wooiee
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by wooiee »

well done on the 1000th box :D :D :D :D
________
Spice Weed
Last edited by wooiee on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

I remember even now that it was Commando - Abseiling
See if I remember the clue - Buried in a pile of broken rocks 15' from the end about half way up - and that is without looking at the catalogue
Oh I remember it well

How sad can I get??????????
Nik 245 to go
The Sly Fox
Trekker
Trekker

Post by The Sly Fox »

I posted this almost six years ago. In that time I have only averaged 100 boxes a year.
That will change this year, and I am armed with my new catalogue. Just need to purchase some charity walks now.
This fox is the hunter, not the hunted !!
1,578 and counting ...