same stamp, different box!

Report missing or damaged boxes.

Moderator: Moderators

rodent
Drifter
Drifter

same stamp, different box!

Post by rodent »

anyone discovered this yet?? theres the same lloyds bank style small horse stamp in two diferent boxes within a short distance from each other on chinkwell tor, put out by different people!!! and i had this last year with a dog box around bonehill thats was the same stamp as a box near the yar to carpark!
Dizzy
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dizzy »

Hi Rodent, this is the problem with shop bought stamps. I personally still count them as it's a different box owner and in a different location, even if only a few feet away.

Shop bought stamps are relatively cheap to buy but they are not unique, whereas having one custom made makes certain that it's a one off, designed by you and something that you wuold be proud to place on the moors. (I'm not saying any more there :wink: ).

The other thing is that maybe some people who use shop stamps may not take care of thier boxes as maybe a stamp that's more personal to them.

Just my thoughts,

Dizzy
Visit my website and please leave a message on my new Guestbook!
http://www.letterboxstamper.co.ukhttp://www.devonartist.co.uk
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

Yes, I agree with Dizzy, sometimes the shop bought ones turn up with their "twins" elsewhere. I count them as well as they are, in effect, different stamps. Winnie the Pooh and his friends used to turn up quite regularly a few years back.

Tina
next target 2000 - hopefully some time in 2010 (ha, ha, make that 2013)
Tina
rodent
Drifter
Drifter

Post by rodent »

i think thats some very valid points, as you can get stamps all over the place and they are increasing on the moor

id like the trend to go back to the way it was when i started. stamps should be based around the places up there, and good series of stamps. i wish (and im thinking about doing) there were a series depicting all the older stamps that arent up there any more, which i miss. such as cuckoo rock, bear necessities, wiiliams well, bell tor no.1. so many great memories
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

Sounds good Rodent - looking forward to seeing you're stamps come to fruition.

I love the old stamps. However, saying that, some of the charity stamps at the moment are very good as well.

Tina
Tina
rodent
Drifter
Drifter

Post by rodent »

well if people woul like to post their fav boxes below i'd like to see everyone elses ideas! some of mine are the dartmoor stampstalkers lunchbox, the water babies, the reynards vixen series, the daves hagar series, holwell and haytor granite, dr blackalls drive etc!

im still glad honeybag tor, where pixies dance at midnight and griff on grippers is still up there after so many years!

and by the any chance someone could give me a better clue to finding grimspound 86 and mellifera series the monk on the moor (grea tor) cause ive never been able to get them!-and just to add to this forum, the mellifera series the bee, the jar have no visitors books and are in a wet condition
tomp
Site Admin

Post by tomp »

I agree, my favourites are the boxes that have some kind of relevance to the moor.

I'm really not keen on the shop bought stamps. If someone can't be be bothered to put the effort into researching and creating a stamp, what are the chances that they'll take care of the letterbox once it's been placed?
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

tomp wrote:I agree, my favourites are the boxes that have some kind of relevance to the moor.

I'm really not keen on the shop bought stamps. If someone can't be be bothered to put the effort into researching and creating a stamp, what are the chances that they'll take care of the letterbox once it's been placed?

Good point
Tina
NUMBER 70

Post by NUMBER 70 »

yes I have had Dolphins and Dolphins, must be a pod up there swimming the leats
Now a Sustrans Volunteer Ranger Group Coordinator on the Trans Pennine Trail
Dizzy
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dizzy »

You know, the americans have it I feel the right way. Most of the stamps they collect across the water are hand made by the owners. Ok, some may look a bit you know whaty, but all these are personal to thier owners. Also when people have to pay out for a stamp, there's definately more chance they will look after it.

I feel that we should have the right to remove very old, unmaintained stamps from the moors, mainly one's............... without contact details, not in the catalogue and obvious to the fact that they have not been touched by thier owners for years.

Dizzy
Visit my website and please leave a message on my new Guestbook!
http://www.letterboxstamper.co.ukhttp://www.devonartist.co.uk
NUMBER 70

Post by NUMBER 70 »

We have just had Mr Cookie strongman again which the Utterley Butterly 'crew' must have found loose on the moor at some time and relocated in a new box on Pew tor, there a several like this they have done in the area, you can tell by the containers

If you want directions gis a shout
Now a Sustrans Volunteer Ranger Group Coordinator on the Trans Pennine Trail