Garmin Etrex - Route Programing Problem

Share navigation tips, discuss map-reading, compass use etc.

Moderator: Moderators

blue danube family
Ambler
Ambler

Garmin Etrex - Route Programing Problem

Post by blue danube family »

I have a question. I have the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx.

I have a lot of waypoints that I added to one route.
When I start the route it works great until I reach the first box, but just as I arrive within a few meters of the waypoint it automatically jumps to the next waypoint in the route. In normal circumstances this may be good for hikers only, but when I am looking for a letterbox I do not want it to jump to the next waypoint yet until I have properly navigated to the first box.

Do you know if I can turn that function off from the Garmin, that it does not automatically jump to the next box (except when I stated found or yeap now you can).
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Hi, not sure if this Etrex works like my Garmin 12, but I had the same problem, so stopped putting in a 'route'. I put in all the waypoints for the boxes for the day, then navigate to the first box on the route. Once at the box, I can then via the menu, go to 'Nearest waypoint'. A list will then show which are the nearest waypoints. I can then choose which boxes are nearest, press 'goto' then highlight the box waypoint and off I go. Doing it this way, the GPS will guide you to the exact waypoint entered, then will not move off that until you manually navigate to the next one. I still obviously plot out my route on the map. The GPS will also still have your walked route in its memory, so that if problems occur, i.e. fog!!! you can then use the 'track back' facility. Hope this helps, but I expect the GPS experts will come up with a more technical way of doing it.
Colin
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Colin »

Hi

You have 2 options either you can set the waypoint proximity to 1Meter so it will not advance to the next route leg until you are with 1meter of the box or the other probably better option is to set the off road transition to manual

See page 22 of the owners manual
http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/eTrexLeg ... Manual.pdf

This will allow you to manually advance to the next waypoint in the route

Hope this Helps

Colin
Station Master
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Station Master »

the only way you get the the exact place is to use the goto function. Name your boxes 1 to ???? the goto each one. The way you are useing it is great for walking only.