GPS/Sighting compass

Share navigation tips, discuss map-reading, compass use etc.

Moderator: Moderators

johnnybg

GPS/Sighting compass

Post by johnnybg »

Can anyone advise me of any make of a electronic sighting compass combined with a GPS that gives you the 10 digit grid reference of any location? Any recommendations greatfully received!
whoisthechallenger
Trekker
Trekker

Post by whoisthechallenger »

It sounds like the ultimate outdoor gadget. But why would you want an electronic sighting compass? Most, if not all GPS units provide you with heading/bearing information, if a regular compass isn't enough. And besides, are you willing to trust ALL your navigation equipment to a set of AA batteries?

Maritime products almost hit the mark. Look at www.nexusmarine.se. You might have to take a mast and rudder with you on the Moors though...
Station Master
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Station Master »

the only way to sight a bearing on Dartmoor unless u have ££££££££££'s and a tank to carry it. GPS will get u to a place but a compass on them are useless.
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

whoisthechallenger wrote:It sounds like the ultimate outdoor gadget. But why would you want an electronic sighting compass? Most, if not all GPS units provide you with heading/bearing information, if a regular compass isn't enough. And besides, are you willing to trust ALL your navigation equipment to a set of AA batteries?
What an absolute valid point, I like my GPS but I never go out there without my compass which requires no batteries. I might not take a map - but a compass - never without it
Nik 245 to go
The Wandering Artist
Trekker
Trekker

GPS/Sighting compass

Post by The Wandering Artist »

Some very good points to bare in mind. Gps is good until it goes wrong or has battery failure - - 'gadgetamania'. Even a sighting compass has its problems - I am on my fourth now! (cracked cover / oil leak and / or bubble trouble!

Whatever happens I always have a compass as the mainstay - GPS I have as a quick means to the boxing ( a luxury to us older ones I can tell you !)
And I never venture on the Moor without a map at hand .Over the years I reckon I have covered all but a little of Dartmoor, but I would never take that for granted. Dartmoor has its moods, and can be quite treacherous to the unwary.

TWA