A brief description on how you were bitten by the letterbox bug

Moderator: Moderators

The Wandering Artist
Trekker
Trekker

Dartmoor addicted

Post by The Wandering Artist »

The Wandering Artist.

I first heard of letterboxing back in 1982 through my eldest daughter playing with others in our street. We then went out to Fogging Tor quarry to find our first boxes.

A few years later we got interested again in boxing but at that time did not venture afar; and were not aware of the twice yearly `Meet'. Over the following years it was a case of if and when we were on the moors.

Then in the early nineties(1992) we started doing some serious boxing but still only aware of the clues given by neighbours and friends and then we went to our first Meet.

I cut my first stamp back in 1996 - Fox Tor - still out there, but clue lost in time.
The best years followed up till 2000 when I had an unfortunate accident that put me out of boxing for quite a few years. Though I did manage to get some boxing done with help from others.
I still carried on cutting stamps during the years following the accident and these are now being sited! The interest in boxing has been re kindled and once again I am cutting stamps to put out (via the help of another boxer)
Since the accident I have been uable to check on the hundreds of stamps I still have sited on the moors. Therefore I have re issued the clues in the hope that at least some will be found and 'newer boxers' can benefit from them. So far things are looking good and stamps sited as long ago as 13 years are being found! Even I can appreciate that rare feeling of finding a long forgotten box somewher!
I am currently reproducing 'old' and 'missing' stamps from those early years for the benfit of the newer members to letterboxing.

Ihave heard from other letterboxers from the past that I have had contact with and it has really meant a lot to me. Sorry to hear ,though , that so many now no longer do the boxing.

I derive an enormous amount of pleasure cutting a new stamp and I always hope those that get a copy enjoy getting it just as much. Anyone who hand cuts a stamp will tell you of the effort that goes into it - but the pleasure comes soley from those who seek and find it.

Looking forward to meeting new and old 'boxers' alike somewhere, sometime on the moor.

TWA
The_Tailchaser
Ambler
Ambler

Post by The_Tailchaser »

Frank I remember the day I first met you. It was on Cut Hill and you were looking for one of my stamps. :lol: I always loved looking for your hand cuts especially the crosses.
The Wandering Artist
Trekker
Trekker

Dartmoor addicted

Post by The Wandering Artist »

Tracey

I too well remember that day. Looking for the rain gauge and stamps around it, a stamp of a dagger, and the long treck bach home.

I sicerely hope good luck is shining on you now.

TWA.