Where to stay?

Where are the best hotels, guesthouses, and campsites?

Moderator: Moderators

John
Hiker
Hiker

Post by John »

TeamKing wrote:Since I was looking for a decent hotel with ammenities, ended up trying the Moorland Links Hotel in Yelverton. Great location and easy to find. Can also walk from the hotel - can't report if any boxes are close as I didn't have a catalog on me, but there were nearby caches so I assume probably boxes not too far away.
Depends on what you mean by 'close'. If you mean the moorland right outside the hotel, then no I don't think there are any boxes there (that area is a frequent dog-walking haunt for us). The nearest would have been "Moorland Mole" near the golf club house, but I think that has now gone (the box, not the club house!).

Stayed at the moorland links on the first night of my honeymoon (decades ago!) - we had the novelty of a four-poster bed in our room! :) The area is great for a nice quiet (i.e. no people) evening walk, and you get to see some gorgeous sunsets to the west.

John.
Gold Coast Green Man

Post by Gold Coast Green Man »

cranmere wrote:The Dartmoor Inn at Merrivale is pleasant, clean and serves good food. We tend to camp up at Princetown outside of the main tourist season (it gets pretty noisy sometimes if there are a lot of students and 'yoof' up there).

Pat
We used to stay at the Dartmoor Inn too and is was always very good, even when we didn't stay there we used to call in for a great mixed grill and a pint or two before heading back to the campsite at Harford Bridge.
Hrafnslith Saxon

Post by Hrafnslith Saxon »

Hi everyone.

My girlfriend, the dog and I all recently stayed at the Forrest inn, Hexworthy. Really great pub and hotel, I can't reccomend it enough.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, the food was great, as were the rooms. We were quite late back one evening and they had already started to phone round the local pubs to see if we had been seen and if we were ok. We had walked almost 30 miles and it took a bit longer than expected.

Very dog friendly place. Your dog is allowed to stay in your room with you.

All in all it was a very good experience. :D
Station Master
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Station Master »

I know a place on Bodmin moor, but no boxes.
The_Tailchaser
Ambler
Ambler

Post by The_Tailchaser »

Do you mean you know a place on Bodmin Moor but no boxes nearby?
Station Master
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Station Master »

Letterboxes are on Dartmoor.

There are Geo-Caches on Bodmin Moor.
kk
Hiker
Hiker

Post by kk »

There are plenty of letterboxes on Bodmin moor also.
Station Master
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Station Master »

THERE IS ONLY ONE PLACE TO FIND DARTMOOR LETTERBOXES AND THAT IS DARTMOOR!
kk
Hiker
Hiker

Post by kk »

You are right that DARTMOOR letterboxes are found on dartmoor, but not ALL boxes are found on Dartmoor!

It seems you that a lot of your posts are done in a manner only to aggrivate people and is extended in the use of caps!

If you want to comment on Dartmoor letterboxes specifically then I suggest a comment of "Letterboxes are on Dartmoor" state so as this is clearly a hobbie that is worldwide including many walks on Bodmin moor.
The_Tailchaser
Ambler
Ambler

Post by The_Tailchaser »

Station Master wrote:I know a place on Bodmin moor, but no boxes.
We are all aware that Dartmoor letterboxes can only be found on Dartmoor, it ain't rocket science is it? Maybe you are not aware that there are just as many letterboxes to be found in the New Forest and yes there are letterboxes on Bodmin Moor. In fact there are letterboxes all over the world. I have some copies, from Snowdonia, to the Canaries, even Hawaii. They are all found in containers and have a stamp and a vistors book. Letterboxes that we call ' out of area boxes'.
The Wandering Artist
Trekker
Trekker

Where to stay?

Post by The Wandering Artist »

KK and Tailchaser (and SM)

Nice to hear from you again.

You are wasting good post with SM. Something of a wind up merchant who, it seems, has a sad life of using the forum as a way to talk to others.

Is Bodmin anywhere near Dartmoor??(Ha!)

TWA
Station Master
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Station Master »

I am no wind up merchant, and I know that there are boxes all over, just trying to be on the right side of the DARTMOOR LETTERBOXING FORUM, when I bought up Geo-cacheing a while ago, people did the same to me. I mean no harm. And yes the last 3 days I have had a sad life unable to even go for a walk around the block due to a long term illness.
And please do not judge me when you do not even know me.
I think a lot of us here have a wind up on here sometimes its all part of the fun.
Also there are a lot of helpful posts on here.
The Wandering Artist
Trekker
Trekker

Where to stay?

Post by The Wandering Artist »

SM
We all have a cross to bare!

After my accident in 2000 it virtually stopped all my walking on Dartmoor for seven years! I did manage a few walks of short distances with unwavering help of my wife (and son in law at New Years Meet)and some close to the roads letterboxing.Lately I have managed some walks but it has taken a lot out of me and 4-5 days to recover.

I have arthritis in both feet and knees - and awaiting knee joint replacement operations - particularly the one damaged in the accident.

At 64 years that is a lot to bear!

Stop your winging and get a life!

Frank (TWA)
Station Master
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Station Master »

I do not moan, I just replied to you post.
When you point a finger at someone there are four pointing back to you!
Damdamdam
Drifter
Drifter

Where to stay if you're alone, on foot and a newbie?

Post by Damdamdam »

Hi - I'd like to resurrect this thread. I hope to go boxing on Dartmoor this autumn.

I'll be alone and carless, and I'm not an experienced wilderness walker. I'd like to stay somewhere I can get a taxi to from Exeter (I guess that would be most places...?) and can walk to some good boxing spots from.

I'll look into the places already mentioned here, but any other recommendations or updates will be greatly appreciated!