Walk like an Eygptian box found

Report missing or damaged boxes.

Moderator: Moderators

UniS
Hiker
Hiker

Walk like an Eygptian box found

Post by UniS »

I found a box, outer box damaged, inner box sound and book and stamp still dry. BUT it was in middle of grassey area, had been for some time judging by teh grass marks, no cover at all, not sure where it had come from AND hadn't been "found" since 2003....

So teh box is Walk like an Egyptian 5 of 9 . found on upper slopes of Taw Valley near Irishmans wall. Only 4 boxers have stamped book, FTF was Quest, then Owl and pussycat in 2001, then The beasts of exmoor also in 2001 and finally the Chudleigh Weals in 2003.

I'm confused?? How long had this box been "lost " for, has an animal resurfaced it from below heavy clitter. would the owner like it back?? I have phoned the number in the book and left a message, no reply to that yet. I bought the box in and am willing to resite it if any one with an old catalogue or WOM clues can tell me where it came from.
Wheres it to ?
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

I no longer have owner details but will put feelers out for you. Best thing is to take it to the meet if you are going. Will be in touch
UniS
Hiker
Hiker

Post by UniS »

I'll be along at some point on sunday. will have it with me.
Wheres it to ?
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Seems the name was Jim and Sylvie. The Beasts of Exmoor will be sat on the table nearest Pebbles stall. So if you show them the book they may have more info.
UniS
Hiker
Hiker

Post by UniS »

This box has been replaced on the moor. in a new outer pot at approximately its old location. Can't be quite sure I got the same moss covered rock at the bottom of a clitter field, but pretty sure its the same clitter field.
Many thanks to those at the meet who figured out who would have a clue and sorted a copy of the clue out for me.

On route to site this box we found and other little visited box - this time still VERY well hidden. Scott's birds of a feather, Nightingale. Its been out 10 plus years and only had one previous finder with no date. Seems the Taw Valley is where letterboxes go to get forgotten.
Wheres it to ?
The Thinkers
Ambler
Ambler

Taw valley

Post by The Thinkers »

This is what makes letter boxing so fascinating!

We 'did' the Taw Marsh area a couple of weeks ago and convinced outselves that we must have walked past many boxes (none found). We avoided any ruins 'man made' etc, but did have a good 'root around' some rocks and isolated trees under the shadow of Steeperton Tor. It was very warm so we gave up searching and sunbathed instead 8)

Now of course, this is where I get lots of replies telling me about the 100 plus boxes that I so obviously missed ! :|

Best wishes to all. Enjoy the good weather wherever you are.

K&A
Take time to think. The world will be a better place for it.