Issues regarding safety and links of interest

Moderator: Moderators

The Janner Jester
Drifter
Drifter

Politeness on the Moor

Post by The Janner Jester »

All

I know we are a fickle bunch and our horde of collected stamps is our very own treasure trove, but...

I was on Sharpitor with my son recently, and came across a family letterboxing in the holidays. They were obviously well prepared, and had radios to track their kids and were hunting about on the rocks.

Having said hello, and pointed out that we too were looking, we were told a story of them heading over to other boxes the previous day had an aggressive reception as they had just found a box and were re-siting. they were aggressive towards the kids (around 10-ish) and told them they made a mockery of the hobby.

please can we be a little more understanding to families boxing?

I pointed them towards a location we had found,, for good measure, and gave them an area of about 10m to look within to get a return.

we parted company on good terms and I think I helped to persuade the next generation of 'boxers to stay with the hobby!

we all play a part on keeping 'boxing going!
The Janner Jester

Hillwalking on Dartmoor for 20 years

Started with the Scouts in Plymouth, now trekking with my own kids
Tamerton Chocolates
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Tamerton Chocolates »

I thought Sharpitor was some sort of private property and there aren't supposed to be boxes up there (but somehow Leather Tor & Peek Hill are ok ...)
The Janner Jester
Drifter
Drifter

cant comment on that, but we certainly found a box in one of the main outcrops on the tor - The Legend of Grey Wethers.

looked good too.
The Janner Jester

Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Re: Politeness on the Moor

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

The Janner Jester wrote:All

Having said hello, and pointed out that we too were looking, we were told a story of them heading over to other boxes the previous day had an aggressive reception as they had just found a box and were re-siting. !
Hi there, welcome to the site - just a bit concerned over your comment that some boxers had 'found a box and were re-siting' thus getting an agressive comment from the boxer.

Could you be a little more specific in that sentence please. I ask because if the family had found a box and were actually moving it (re-siting) then I too would have something to say about that. Boxes should not be moved from its location because then anyone following behind with a clue won't be able to find it. The area then becomes desimated with boxers tearing the ground to pieces to find the box.
A good area for finding boxes without clues is Brat Tor, Arms Tor, Dow tor area. Loads there to find. Even with clues I still have over 50 in each square to get, and I was only up there last month and came back with another 60.
The Janner Jester
Drifter
Drifter

hey - sorry - i misused the terminology.

the first group were putting it back in the location (perhaps re-locating may have been more to the point, or just plain old, putting it back)

the aggression apparently came from the feeling that the first group thought they were being followed to the box site and they thought this was 'cheating'.

to be fair, some of my first boxes were stumbled upon by WOM or by seeing other walkers huddles around a rock. in fact my first box was found this way.

thanks for the tips - I will take a wander up there and see what I can find!
The Janner Jester

Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Phew, thats better. Sadly there are a few boxers like that about. They think they own the moors!!! If I see someone who has found a box, I usually go up and introduce myself and if they see you have a fistful of clues and are genuinely looking for boxes they most often don't mind. But some really go over the top - one party I saw that were at a box I had the clue for saw me coming and moved off. When I got there the box had gone, so thought they were just having lunch. On my way back I looked again and the box was back. met up with this party in the car park and mentioned it to them. They just laughed and said they took it around with them for the day and put it back on the way back. I certainly gave them a piece of my mind, but it didn't make any difference. They were down on holiday and thought it was great fun to spoil someone elses day on the moors.
So please don't let them put you off - go out and enjoy the moors and our hobby. best free fresh air you can get!!!
teignmouth trampers
Hiker
Hiker

Post by teignmouth trampers »

Gosh
I think I would have to keep my hands in my pockets if I found some idiot had carried a box around all day. Some people are beyond belief.
Right now we are dogsitting in Essex so along way from the moor,back in 10 days and off we go letterboxing again.
Lyn, Arth and Millie the Jack Russell.
brinbunny
Ambler
Ambler

Post by brinbunny »

Some people are just so rude!

So far I can happily say we have met only friendly boxers - who have shared the odd clue, hint or info as to a missing box, so maybe I should count myself lucky.

I hope that you meet many more friendly people in the future as without new and younger generations how would this fab sport keep going?

As for the clue book referenced in your earlier post - you can send off for it without getting 100 1st, we did and are busy learning how to use it . . . .
The Basingstoke letterboxers - Tim and Ruth WE GOT 100 BOXES - WHOOP WHOOP - onwards and upwards . . . . .
The Janner Jester
Drifter
Drifter

thanks BrinBunny

Good to hear from someone close to where I have just moved back from - I was Tadley boy for just under 10 years!
The Janner Jester

brinbunny
Ambler
Ambler

Post by brinbunny »

The Janner Jester wrote:thanks BrinBunny

Good to hear from someone close to where I have just moved back from - I was Tadley boy for just under 10 years!
WOW - My Dad was born and raised in Pamber and I live on the A340 at the very edge of Basingstoke, what a small world :)

If you ever want to know that as usual nothing much is going on up hear - just let me know. LOL
The Basingstoke letterboxers - Tim and Ruth WE GOT 100 BOXES - WHOOP WHOOP - onwards and upwards . . . . .
jennsie
Drifter
Drifter

Post by jennsie »

I live in Basingstoke. I'm fairly new to this hobby. I started a few years ago now with 4 trips to Dartmoor to look for letterboxes and did three charity walks, but the lack of time and commuting to London every day during the week has made me a bit lazy so I just stay home on holidays at the weekend. That said, I am making an effort this year as I'd like to get back into it and I'm posting off for some charity walks.

It's nice to know others from Basingstoke (or near it) are into this too.

I was starting to feel a bit put off reading about how rude some people can be to others who just want to enjoy a time out and then take the boxes. :( I really hope I never come across these people. It's a fair way to Dartmoor for me to go to find letterboxes and it's not something I can get to do often unless I take unpaid time off of work.
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Jennsie, don't be put off by what others think, I have met a few who were a bit indifferent to me with certain boxes I had found on the moor. Namely WOM boxes, but they soon realised I was a genuine boxer by sending them a polite email about the condition of their box, be it good or bad, and when I had found it. THen you add the sneaky bit and ask if they have clues for any more they might have out there
Nik 245 to go