Stolen or just taken off the moor

Report missing or damaged boxes.

Moderator: Moderators

The Ghost Returns
Ambler
Ambler

Stolen or just taken off the moor

Post by The Ghost Returns »

Last weekend I found six boxes in a very poor state with cracked containers and stamps off of backing. Four stamps could not be identified due to breaking up and unstampable.
I have reported 2 of the boxes as for the other 4 I only have grid references.
So I have infact taken 6 boxes off the moor. Will the next Letterboxers now report them as stolen. Is this whats happening in many cases.
Box Hunter
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Box Hunter »

I agree that this might account for quite a few boxes that people think have been stolen, though obviously not new ones and whole series which disappear virtually overnight. I have taken three off the moor this week for the same reasons. One was legible enough for me to contact the owner, one was so bad I have nothing to go on at all (from near Nine Maidens) and the third was a badly broken largish round stamp of a lapwing from the west flank of Eylesbarrow of which there is not enough left to work out the name of the box, let alone the owner.
Patience helps....
reg the bullmastiff
Hiker
Hiker

Post by reg the bullmastiff »

I think this will run and run BUT...... I think you did the right thing. I was up at Bonehill Rocks the other day and found loads of letterboxes broken / discarded / lost / forgotten call them what you will, but I think of it as nothing more than DETRITUS! Worse than that it leads the finder back to the pastime of LETTERBOXING and holds us in a bad light to members of the public who are out to enjoying the outdoors without stepping over our litter.
WELL DONE........ you little WOMBLE you. :D
Dartymoor
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Dartymoor »

I agree too, and have done the same with smashed boxes although I haven't taken a grid ref and reported based that these were kids boxes with foam stamps and I didn't think they were registered, I probably will in future just in case.
karen27
Drifter
Drifter

MISSING BOX - BUT GOOD CONDITION WHEN LAST CHECKED...

Post by karen27 »

Well, my box was in very good state of repair... doubly wrapped in plastic bag and the plastic box covered with black tape as well. The stamp, 'The Thinkers' was also wrapped and in good condition last February, despite the winter rain etc.
However - its gone !!! Much to my dismay - it was at Laughter Tor, the Bellever Side.
Having been up there recently and checked thoroughly to see if just mislaced, I have to agree there are several wet and ruined boxes that need replacing or removing - but not sure why ours has gone....? Would love to hear that it has been found somewhere. k