General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

teignexplorer2
Drifter
Drifter

Mike Holliday Letterbox Programe

Post by teignexplorer2 »

Hi

I have just purches a new laptop with windows 8 operating system, not thinking about Mike's Programe.

I installed it but unfortunetly it is not compatable, as windows 8 works with aps only.

The programe that you can download on-line works fine but have lost all my info as it is on Mike's system.

Can anyone help?
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Hi, I had the same problem with Malcolm A's program - new laptop on Windows 7 not compatable with the program. I know if you purchase Windows Professional edition you can operate programs that used to run on 32bit computers, but sadly I only have the Windows Home Edition. Fortunately I had kept my old laptop and carried on using the program on that until I got fed up with having 2 computers on a small desk. I then downloaded Colins letterbox program of the web which does allow you to import the updates. It also allows you to import the updates from Mike H's program as well. I am gradually moving my WOM over by hand which has been really useful. I have been able to dump loads of clues that are now out of date or too far into the moors for me to get these days. If you have your old computer still, I would suggest you go down the same route. Download the program off the web, then import your box file from Mikes program straigt into it. His program gives instructions on how to do this, and you will be able to 'fly' all clues including your WOM ones in one go. If you need any IT advice then get in touch with Colin - he is the 'man'. He got me up and running again, so now everything is on Windows 7 laptop. Good luck
Tamerton Chocolates
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Tamerton Chocolates »

You could try virtualisation for all those applications that won't run on Windows8. I have used VMWare player and Virtualbox to run Colin's program successfully. (slightly different setup as I am linux and needed a Win7 platform).
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Hi, I have no problem running Colins program on Windows 7 but he will be able to advise you if it works on Windows 8. I am sure it will as he is very much up to date with all this computer stuff :lol:
Colin
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Colin »

It should work fine on windows 8. Microsoft have stated that any app that runs on win 7 will work on win 8. However if anyone does find an issue please let me know.

Colin
Everyone has a photographic memory. My problem is I don't have any film.

www.colin-masters.com