Fire at Chat Tor

Report missing or damaged boxes.

Moderator: Moderators

NorfolkDumplings
Drifter
Drifter

Fire at Chat Tor

Post by NorfolkDumplings »

Having seen the flames and the speed that the fire moved, Why did people think it was a good idea to sit on Brat Tor and watch the fire?. Are some people mad or just stupid.
The Sly Fox
Trekker
Trekker

Post by The Sly Fox »

I think some people are both mad and stupid.
The mind boggles :roll:
This fox is the hunter, not the hunted !!
1,578 and counting ...
John
Hiker
Hiker

Post by John »

Was this an actual fire or swaling?
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Havn't read what they decided, but the swaling season ended end March and any farmer must get special permission to swale in the next 2 weeks. I was out upon Corn Ridge and met several groups of Ten Torers going over to Kitty, then Chat, then Sharp the Doe tor. I think some of them would have been directly in that line of the fire but never heard that anyone actually got caught or hurt in it. The burnt area is massive, wonder how many boxes got caught in it :cry: I did hear no animals got hurt .
NorfolkDumplings
Drifter
Drifter

Chat Tor Fire

Post by NorfolkDumplings »

The fire was started when a group of Ten Tors who were training knocked over their stove and started the fire, when they couldn't stop it the phoned 999.
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

:cry: Wondered if it was one of the teams that passed me by. I picked up a map from one of them and saw the route they were to take which showed them walking from Kitty to Chat tor. As another team came by I gave the map to them ans they said they were part of the same group. Lets hope they have learned a very valuable lesson from this and be more carefull when out on the moors.