General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

bog_baby
Hiker
Hiker

Yes Tor/High Willhays

Post by bog_baby »

Hi guys
thinking about doing a walk up Yes Tor/High Willhays from the parking at Meldon Reservoir, around Longstone Hill and then just heading upwards when the path ends. Is that going to work? (Have checked firing times, doesn't look too boggy??). We'll have the 7 year old in tow and don't normally head to this end of Dartmoor but we climbed Pen Y Fan and Sugarloaf in the Brecon Beacons last Year and are hoping to climb Snowden in a couple of months so I thought this might be a bit of practice.
Any thoughts???
whoisthechallenger
Trekker
Trekker

Post by whoisthechallenger »

Sounds like perfect practise for your Welsh adventures to me! Try and avoid the side of Homerton Hill on the descent though. From memory, the paths are very narrow (sheep-track), and the steep drop to the reservoir hair-raising. Not great for tired, little legs, especially if its a blowy day!

Also, I believe the path to the West of the reservoir is now closed, frustratingly ruling out a circular walk via the bridge at Vellake Corner.

Its a dramatic area of the moor - I hope you enjoy it!
A Dartmoor Letterboxing blog:
www.who-is-the-challenger.blogspot.com
bog_baby
Hiker
Hiker

Post by bog_baby »

Great advice, thanks!
reg the bullmastiff
Hiker
Hiker

Post by reg the bullmastiff »

From Meldon Res that can be very very steep especially when you get to a place called snipers gully and especially with a 7 year old. The worst part is you keep getting false summits thinking you are almost there but you are not it seems to take an age. To achieve just the 2 summits I would park on the military road it might look further on the map but it is an easier rout and it is line of sight all the way. However if it is number of boxes you are after??? Meldon to Yes tor MIGHT be more fruitful but you will have to work for them?
Get your map out and look at the contour lines....sheesh! HAVE FUN :wink:
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

We want lots of pictures please...
Nik 245 to go
bog_baby
Hiker
Hiker

Post by bog_baby »

Thanks Reg........where is the military road on the OS map???? Not too worried about boxes so maybe that would be a better route.
Will try to take some nice pics, fingers crossed for good weather!!
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Just in case Reg doesn't pick this up - when you get to the Okehampton camp, the road turns down , then you go across a bridge and up the road to Row Tor, Cullever Steps etc. This time though, when you go past the hut do not go over the bridge - turn immediately right - drive along that road, keeping the brook to your left right up to approx 5905 9130. There is now a proper parking bay just before the track that goes across to Row tor. You can then walk the track that goes around the south end of West Mill Tor, then carries on up to Yes Tor. These tracks are defined by two parrallel dashed lines. You could also stop a bit further down the road at a 'crossroad' (marked on map by 2 tracks crossing) at approx 5864 9206, you can then walk around the north end of West Mil and up to Yes tor. This way though there will be some heavy clitter to negotiate.

Hope this helps - apologies to Reg if I have stepped on his toes :)
bog_baby
Hiker
Hiker

Post by bog_baby »

Great directions, I hadn't even noticed there was a path all the way up from the other side! (although I wouldn't have known where to park even if I did) Thanks everyone!
bog_baby
Hiker
Hiker

Post by bog_baby »

We made it (well with a bit of help and a slight cheat).
We parked at the end of the road parking bay but weren't sure exactly where we were on the map doh. Anyway struck off following the path, then turned right hoping we were heading in the right direction, it was a beautiful looking day but soooooo windy (in sheltered spot about 20 degrees, in the wind about 14).
I was annoyed that I didn't know exactly where we were but fortunately spotted a family coming along another path that crossed ours and found out we were at New Bridge so once we knew that it was easy to find our way. Big thanks to them, we wouldn't have made it without them!!! We decided to cheat and not to walk over to High Willahays but to take shelter in front of Yes tor and have lunch (lovely and warm and sheltered in that spot!) But the wind was still blowing wildly when we left there so after a walk around the tor we decided to head back down.
It was a lovely walk inspite of the wind and some beautiful desolate views on the way, will try to post a couple of pics later. Thanks for everyones help!!
bog_baby
Hiker
Hiker

Post by bog_baby »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96853268@N ... hotostream

2 pics on the above link, one taken on the way back to the car and one of the boys at Yes tor.
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Well done - lovely pic of little one and Dad at the Trig. he did very well for such a young one with little legs - What a star
bog_baby
Hiker
Hiker

Post by bog_baby »

Thanks! (and for the help with directions!) The little one is a pretty good walker (doesn't have much choice really!)
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Well done... and nice pics
Nik 245 to go
bog_baby
Hiker
Hiker

Post by bog_baby »

Thanks Nik. We're off to Snowden this weekend so just hope the lovely weather holds...