General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

tim & Jen on the moor
Drifter
Drifter

Strangest place you have found a box?

Post by tim & Jen on the moor »

Hello again, :D

We were out last weekend looking for an old box from the 90’s, eventually after a good half hour hunting we found it, buried a foot or so in the ground, in the centre of a large gorse bush. A few scratches and grazes later we managed to get to the box. Well worth the agony of trying to get it, as it was a beautiful hand crafted stamp.

So following this challenging find I thought I would ask the forum-“what is the strangest/hardest place you have ever found a box”? :?:
Target 1000 badge.
Newbury Fruit
Drifter
Drifter

Post by Newbury Fruit »

Now thats a good question. Like you have dug a few out under gorse etc but a couple come to mind.
There was ,back in 90's (might still be) a Pub that kept their box in the log burner. Always struck me as odd. Then I remember one actually up a tree near the Skylark.
But we did find one out near Vixen tor took some finding took all the bearings etc kept leading us to just this open bit of very damp grass area. it was only when one of our group pushed his walking stick into the ground while trying to recheck bearings as he pulled it back out some of the grass came too and there was the box. To be fair the bearings for it were spot on !!!!! as by some miracle were ours.
Newbury Fruit still traveling
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Before Wistman's Wood was deemed a Newtake there was a box hanging from a tree. I remember Staple Tor Skier was on the end of a fifteen foot rope.
However, any boxes I find in dangerous places I will remove and return to the owner... So far that is zero found.
Nik 245 to go
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Hardest box to get was the one in the cave at Grants Pot - with a flash light I could see it, but no way was I going in there. There was also one in Bush Down Adit, again no way I was going underground for a box. With the tree one, there was also a lovely robin stamp in a box high up in a holly tree at the back of Badgers Holt. Good job I had my stick with the crook with me that day :wink:
NUMBER 70

Knickers!!!!!

Post by NUMBER 70 »

Round the back of Saddle Tor we found a box under a giant pair of granite knickers!

When we walked away from the outcrop it was under you could see the profile of the underwear across the face/edge of the outcrop.

A several 20-30 paces away there is a coffin shaped rock which have pulled boxes out from under.

I guided a mate from work to one of our boxes to pick it up for us, via the knickers and coffin, he found them both