General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Nat
Drifter
Drifter

Tiny Stamps!

Post by Nat »

Just thought I'd ask!
I recently found so me letterboxes and they contained very small stamps which when printed didn't transfer to well they are very small and are just little flowers or some times are unable to be deciphered?

Will these stamps be registered and still count?

Many thanks

Nat :)
Nat
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

:? Are you sure they were letterboxes? Did they have a proper book in the pots with the name of the stamp in. If not you may have found one of those Geo Caches - these have very small items in them and a bit of paper. Where did you find them please, then perhaps I can help?
Nat
Drifter
Drifter

Hound Tor!

Post by Nat »

Most of them had books in! However a few were full of water!! They were definetly stamps but just very very small! They didnt have any names of the stamps though.. Is it nessecary to know the name of the stamp for it to count?
The tor i visited was Hound Tor we found alot of good ones in only 2 hours!

Thank you for your reply!! :)
Nat
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

It helps to know the name, usually found in the front of the book.
Quite often these are bonus stamps, or stamps put out by young children as a starting point for being a letterboxer.
You do need to know the name, and if you can scan/photograph it put it on the section And this stamp is....

On a separate note, I am not a huge fan of the "cheap mass produced stamp"
I am waiting for the day someone goes into a hobby shop and stamps all the stamps on sale.
Nik 245 to go
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

:lol: Someone will one day!!! Nat - a good way to get yourself going in this hobby is to spend £2.50 and buy one of the charity walks. Loads will be on sale at the meet on clock change day, but if you can't get there, all the walks are posted under the Charity walks thread. These walks give you a minimum of 12 and sometimes a max of 20 stamps in a circular walk. Lots now give you a map of the walk as well, so all you need is your compass and GPS if you have one (not important but makes life easier) and off you go. Let us know how you get on - may even bump into you at the Meet.
Nat
Drifter
Drifter

Post by Nat »

Okay!
I will try and photograph some of them soon and put them on here to see if anyone has any ideas!!

Thank you both for your help!
Nat
bog_baby
Hiker
Hiker

Post by bog_baby »

I expect they are kids boxes, understandably not everyone is very keen on these as they often turn into litter. Great if you have kids like me though :-) I've been told on here that they can count, you just write a word to describe the stamp and where you found it ie dog - Hound Tor. It depends how seriously you want to take it I guess :-)