General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

luckyjonah
Drifter
Drifter

Where to site new hand-made stamp?

Post by luckyjonah »

Hello All

We are heading down for a couple of weeks with the kids in August and since we are staying in Chagford I have made (well it's nearly finished!) a hand-made stamp of Castle Drogo. I don't think it's a work of art exactly but they're fun to make :D I was wondering what areas people thought might be a decent place to leave the stamp? Obviously we'd like a balance between it being found and not being stolen.

We last came down in 2010 and left another hand-carved stamp with a picture of a sheep on it and "M&M 2010" - I included an email address on the back of the stamp and a few people have emailed when they have found it so it's good to know it's still there 4 years on! Has anybody on here found it I wonder? Apparently it's a bit damp now so we'll be replacing the ink pad and book and including a clue to our new one :idea:
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Hi welcome to the forum - if you are staying in Chagford then a good place for boxes is probably around kes Tor area. Easy to park and lots of nice walks around there. Not a good idea to site it on meldon as very few boxes stay on there - part farmer and part LBT taking them off
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

A few tips on where to site a box:

Do not place in any structures as this is not allowed, and will be removed
Do not place your box in a dangerous position as this too will have it removed

Don't place your box in a popular area, as it is likely to go missing

Do not give your box a ten figure map reference (you can have the 10 fig ref) as it makes it far too easy to find with a GPS. Keep it to 6 figures.

Try to avoid the bottom of a gully as they tend to flood

Try to make your hiding place as natural as possible
Look for an obvious close by landmark (for your self)
Take bearings off at least 4 fixed objects (you'd be surprised at the number of sheep that had bearings taken off them).
And leave contact details - email address would be fine (set up a new email for it then you will know all correspondence will be spam or letterbox orientated)

If you want to register it you'll need two copies to be sent to the 100 club

I think that pretty much covers it
Nik 245 to go
luckyjonah
Drifter
Drifter

Post by luckyjonah »

Thanks for the suggestion and general tips - we will certainly have a look around Kes Tor area I think.

I have finished the Castle Drogo stamp now but can't work out how to post images here... :?
luckyjonah
Drifter
Drifter

Post by luckyjonah »

We had a look around Kes Tor but it wasn't one of our favourite areas/tors... in the end we sited it on Honeybag Tor which we had never previously visited but is definitely a favourite now, absolutely stunning views and it will be well worth a return trip in future to check on our box. Loads of other letterboxes around there and Chinkwell Tor, we found 18 walking from the south of Bonehill Rocks.
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

There used to be over 100 boxes on Honeybags... A few of them are still there, but it might be hard to find a clue for them these days
Nik 245 to go