Sheeps Tor

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

scottyplym
Hiker
Hiker

Sheeps Tor

Post by scottyplym »

Yesterday evening, my friend Thomo and myself visited Sheeps Tor, arriving at 4pm and staying for 3 hours. Avoiding the main tor, we scouted around the edges, after a slow start finished with a total of 8 boxes, none of which are registered in the current book.

We were fortunate to find a few WOM Boxes, including an incredible stamp called " Reynards Rambling on the Moor". A couple of the boxes were extremly old and saturated, but with a dose of TLC, we were able to make an inprint.

Again Geocaching reared its pointless head and we found 2 in and around the tor.

I had expected there to be more letterboxes in this area if I'm honest. due to it being one of the first tors you hit, coming from Plymouth. It was very difficult finding the eight, thank goodness for WOM boxes.

Next Outing- White Tor, next Tuesday if anyone fancies it? PM me :)

Scott
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

I used to have three WOM boxes up there, all of which vanished within a couple of weeks, they were part of my Adventures on Dartmoor series, they weren't cheap to make and I was saddened to find them missing :? I had this theory they were removed when the catalogue was reduced to a 5 year limit and any box not in the book "was removed"..

But 20 years ago there used to be 40+ boxes up there. I was last up there 2 years ago and only found 4 in three hours of looking
Nik 245 to go
Tamerton Chocolates
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Tamerton Chocolates »

Never had much luck on Sheepstor either. I usually keep my eyes open when I happen to walk the dogs here, but I only ever found a handful of boxes.
Jakethegsd
Drifter
Drifter

Post by Jakethegsd »

As I am Scott's mate Thommo, (also known as Ant on these pages) I can confirm that Sheep's Tor was indeed quite hard going, but the slog was alleviated by the thought of a drink in the excellent Royal Oak in Meavy afterwards!
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Welcome to the site Jakethegsd, and you are now up and running with your posts.... :D
Nik 245 to go
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Stolen boxes at Sheepstor

Post by Fulchet »

Unfortunately I won't ever be siting any boxes on Sheepstor again after I had my whole walk stolen within days of going in the catalogue. I will get the stamps remade at some stage and put them out on another tor.
next target 2000 - hopefully some time in 2010 (ha, ha, make that 2013)
Tina
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

I had a few WOM boxes out there which went missing within a couple of weeks.
As much as the view is spectacular from a letterboxing point of view it is a no go area for me as well
Nik 245 to go
blue danube family
Ambler
Ambler

Post by blue danube family »

Went to Sheeps Tor 3 weeks ago and spent a lot of time there (I went by bike so to give me a lot of time to serach for boxes).

Result: less than 10 boxes and no old boxes at all that I found. Very disappointing.