NEW MEMBERS

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Tanyasuzanne
Drifter
Drifter

Could I trouble you for some newbie advice?

Post by Tanyasuzanne »

Been out to pew tor way 2 now both with a average of 3hours to have a good hunt, but still haven't really found any boxes.. I've found mostly children's boxes with a small child stamp, but not so to speak a "propper" one, I'm looking in the clitter round outstanding rocks, round trees, over hanging rocks, rocks in dips.. Feels like I've looked everywhere and still no luck, maybe me & my partner are just no good? Lol.. I dunno.. Was just wondering if I could have a few pointers on what to look for for example how big is the average box and I see pill pots but not actually to sure how big these are? We seemed to have found many broken boxes the plastic parts and a gaffataped pot and much glass but everytime I think Theres got to be one here we just can't find one.. Any help would be great!!
bog_baby
Hiker
Hiker

Post by bog_baby »

I never find the good ones either (well rarely) but as we have kids with us it doesn't really bother me, the kids are easily pleased.
Pill pots that are used are quite large although I don't think they're used as much any more (might be wrong) as they're more difficult to get hold of now.
I also think less and less really good stamps are being put out and that you need to avoid the obvious places, popular places, places a lot of tourists go and walk a bit further afield to find 'good' boxes.
What about going on one of the charity walks? Or if all else fails you could go to the hound of the basket meals by hound tor and ask for their box of stamps - plenty to chose from there!!
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

:lol: Hi there, most letterboxes these days are in the small 'clip lock' boxes. They are about the same size as the pill pots though. As Bog baby says the decent boxes are more into the moors these days to try and stop the casula walker falling over them and also trying to deter the LBT. Best idea is to spend £2.50 and buy one of the charity walks. That way you follow a circular route and are guaranteed 12 plus boxes. Then you can always rout around for more on the way.

Good luck - don't give up - the first 100 are always the hardest to find.
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Don't give up hope in looking for boxes, it is a knack once learned you won't forget it.
Tips... look for worn areas around a potential site, especially boot marks.
Look for stones that don't look right and if they are worn. Very seldom will you ever find a box on top of a tor
Nik 245 to go
Tanyasuzanne
Drifter
Drifter

Haytor

Post by Tanyasuzanne »

Could anyone tell me if its worth going up to haytor to look for letter boxes I know it's a highly gone to area but was going to leave some flowers for the little boy & his mum so didn't know if it would be worth a hunt around after?
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

On my last visit to Haytor, there were a few boxes, but I found considerably more around the surrounding tors.
Nik 245 to go
Blossom16
Drifter
Drifter

Re: NEW MEMBERS

Post by Blossom16 »

Good afternoon. We are hoping to start letterboxing now our children are a bit older. Can anyone tell me where the meeting on sunday will be and at what time? Many thanks, Claire.
whoisthechallenger
Trekker
Trekker

Post by whoisthechallenger »

Welcome to the site Claire! Its great to hear about new Dartmoor Letterboxers. The Meet traditionally begins at 10am on Clock Change Sundays. It is held at Lee Moor Village Hall (approx Grid Reference 572 618). The venue postcode & other info is on the http://www.dartmoorletterboxing.org homepage. See you there!
A Dartmoor Letterboxing blog:
www.who-is-the-challenger.blogspot.com
Dartymoor
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Dartymoor »

Better anti-spam measures make this no longer needed, so I'm de-pinning this thread.