General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Tigerjoby
Drifter
Drifter

what3words

Post by Tigerjoby »

Hi all,
I am planning a family holiday down to Dartmoor to have a 'letterboxing' holiday with our son (either this year or next). I've just joined this group as none of us have experienced doing this before. We are country folk from Rutland and avid walkers. For safety prep (as we've never walked on moorland) I've been researching as well as looking at tips on this forum. I haven't come across anyone mentioning the app 'what3words' yet. If it has been mentioned/posted previously I apologise. But if you do not know what it is or haven't heard of it you may find this useful.................

what3words is a brilliant mobile app which pinpoints your location anywhere on earth to within 1 metre square. It is well worth having. You just download it and open it up and it gives you 3 completely random words for where you are. eg. a square near me right now is named: tango.clutches.tulip. If I was in trouble and needed to guide anybody to where I am whether it may be the emergency services or a friend they also need the app and it can guide them to me by me telling them the 3 words the the square I am in.