GPS Assistance Required

Share navigation tips, discuss map-reading, compass use etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Ki Adi Mundi
Hiker
Hiker

Magellan GPS 300

Post by Ki Adi Mundi »

Hey ho...

Just blew the dust off my dads old GPS unit. HAve set it up but it reckons i'm in SJ 3289 4524! NOT SX ANYTHING, is this just where it hasn't tracked me yet or do i have to tell it to use a different map?

The Dartmoor JEdi
exeter bog hoppers
Hiker
Hiker

Post by exeter bog hoppers »

which gps is it
Mad moorland muppet
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Mad moorland muppet »

You have to change it to SX
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

depends how long it has been sat around and in the off mode... this does not do the electronics inside much good at all, and these things degrade with time... something worth thinking about when you buy these items.

Rather like the mobile phone - it ends up being abused chucked into a box and forgotten for a while
then one day you decide to go on an archeological dig through your possessions and you find it again along with that old cache of money and some useless plastic box you had
Nik 245 to go
Ki Adi Mundi
Hiker
Hiker

magellan 300 gps

Post by Ki Adi Mundi »

It is the magellan gps 300, i can't find anywhere that lets me change it from sj to sx thoough and its website is S*i*!
The Lost Legionnaire
Hiker
Hiker

Post by The Lost Legionnaire »

Nik-KOTM, was that a Geocache of money under the bed? :D
"So I find myself among brave south western hills....................running like a madman on the moor"
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

yeah.... a cache of farthings and ha'pennies.... half a crown and sixpence
and three "new" pennies dated 1978

Ok I wont make my fortune on that lot
Nik 245 to go
NUMBER 70

Post by NUMBER 70 »

Ki Adi Mundi

Sounds as if your GPS has been switched off for a while, with SJ coming up instead of SX it looks like it may have been used last in North west England, you may have to reset the system back to the factory settings again, unless there are waypoints in there you don't want to lose.

Having been on the web site having a nosey at the instruction manual on there I think they suggest like the Garmin if you have moved more than 300 miles from where you had it switched onlast it will need re-initialising(Think that techno blurb for let the poor bugger work out where it is). and on this line I would suggest that you may want to take it outside in your back garden/local park to give it some fresh air (only joking)as it may not be picking up the Satelites whizzing overhead if you are sat watching Corry in your front room with 9 inch cavity walls all around!!

I am assuming that you found this instruction manual on the manufacturers web site but have added the address just in case.

If you did, Did you read the trouble shooting bit at the end, although this had on it only two or three queries but the, Did the GPS not find its position after 10 minutes? may be the one you need to read

http://www.magellangps.com/assets/manua ... 0manual%22

I had 10 minutes to spare at lunch so I had a poke around on t net, hope I got the right model also

Hope that helps
Now a Sustrans Volunteer Ranger Group Coordinator on the Trans Pennine Trail
Ki Adi Mundi
Hiker
Hiker

Number 70

Post by Ki Adi Mundi »

Cool, thanks will have a look at the site again - may just mallet it, xmas is coming, after all . . .