How I started - Tina

A brief description on how you were bitten by the letterbox bug

Moderator: Moderators

Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

How I started - Tina

Post by Fulchet »

It was half term or Easter holidays or something back in 1996 and the boys were with their child minder. They came home one evening and said they'd been letterboxing that day and told me what they'd been up to.

I went to the Outdoor Centre (now Blacks) in Plymouth and asked the lady behind the counter what she might know about letterboxing. She pointed me in the direction of Tony Moore and to some books written by Anne Swinscow. My husband spoke to some work colleagues who said "yes" they'd heard about letterboxing and some went regularly. They recommended some places to start looking. In those days the old Princetown Railway area was very popular.

We stocked up with pads and rubber stamps and went out one day determined to find a box. It tipped it down with rain, I advised the boys to watch their footing and promptly went "shlurp" right up to my knees, found a box plugged into the side of a bank, shouted "yippee" and we all went home.

We went out quite a bit over the next couple of years, and then stopped because I spent the following five years on day release getting a Degree and studying evenings and weekends, with no time to spare for much else. I then went out a couple of times in 2005, until I became ill.

Started again in January this year and plan to go out regularly whilst able. Really enjoying it after a break of some years and now heading for my 1000 badge - only another 440 to go ... lol. Also planning to find Cranmere Pool this year.

Tina
Last edited by Fulchet on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dizzy
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dizzy »

A very interesting story Tina. Sorry to hear you got ill back in 2005, hopefully your well now.
Cranmere Pool was (for me) a little difficult to find due to it being in a dip of sorts. But with good compass work and boncing on the peat mounds we all got there, photo's galore!

I'm studying from home whilst trying to fit a full time job in for a Professional Webmaster degree. I know it's hard work especially when you tired after work but I'm sure it's worth it.

I'm currently heading towards the 3000 badge and hope to reach this during the Summer.

Dizzy
Visit my website and please leave a message on my new Guestbook!
http://www.letterboxstamper.co.ukhttp://www.devonartist.co.uk
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

I'm absolutely fine now thanks - just take lots of tablets ... lol

Good luck with your studies - it is very tiring but such an achievement at the end of it.

Good luck with the 3,000 badge as well - another great achievement, and one I hope to get one of these days.

Tina