Report missing or damaged boxes.

Moderator: Moderators

The Sly Fox
Trekker
Trekker

Alas ... missing

Post by The Sly Fox »

Where are all the old boxes going?

Over the years I have made 'special' trips to find the older boxes (such as Hen Tor, Fox Tor and Huntingdon Warren).
Every time I go to these places they are gone. Sometimes they are deleted from the catalogue, only to reappear.

Reappearances always gives me new hope, so off I hike...

Arghhhhhhhhhh !!!!

No Huntingdon Warren, AGAIN, maybe next time? Ninth time lucky?
This fox is the hunter, not the hunted !!
1,578 and counting ...
NUMBER 70

Post by NUMBER 70 »

Hello sly fox welcome to the forum nice to see a new face on here.

When you say re appear. do you get the updates or just a new catalogue every six months? because I think the updates are going to be more current than the catalogue. 3-4wks max versus 6 mths worth of new info
some of the 'yokels' (sorry chaps i've used that word again) may have some input for you on this subject.
Now a Sustrans Volunteer Ranger Group Coordinator on the Trans Pennine Trail
wooiee
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by wooiee »

welcome to the site :)
we were talking about this before... it seems a whole area can be wiped out by a disgruntled farmer or person who's against us boxers :cry:

we noticed this at yellow mead farm/kings tor area earlier this year..
________
GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOOD
Last edited by wooiee on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Sly Fox
Trekker
Trekker

Post by The Sly Fox »

Hi all,

Nice to hear from you (all boxers are a friendly bunch)

When I say reappear, I mean being deleted from the catalogue for a year or two, only to come back. I thought maybe the owners took them in for a while or something.

Managed to get Taw Marsh last month. I had been there twice before,only to find a polite note saying it was being repaired. Should have seen the smile on my face ... at long last !!!

I was at King's Tor / Longash last month too and many of the boxes seemed to be gone. Do we have minesweepers out there?
This fox is the hunter, not the hunted !!
1,578 and counting ...
wooiee
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by wooiee »

when we went to the premeet at the railway inn there were boxers there who had big boxes of old stamps that they had put out on the moor and brought back in.

i know some boxes who only have thier boxes out for the summer...
________
FLOOD INSURANCE FORUM
Last edited by wooiee on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Sadly due to the limitations othat the DPA has put upon the siting of letterboxes and the time limits - a lot of boxes are disappearing maybe through theft or by well meaning boxers who think because they are not in a the catalogue listings they shouldn't be out there, or tourists (the most probable cause) taking them home as a souvenier of Dartmoor!
Nik 245 to go
brockie
Drifter
Drifter

Post by brockie »

I personally only visit the old sites - or stand alone boxes representing the landmark as I like to use them as a memento of a walk. When I was younger I collected everything and anything, but I do not like having bits and pieces of series or stamps I can't relate to. Have probably become old fashioned in my old age!

Have to admit the number of older boxes on the moor seems to have dwindled over the last 5 years or so. The original legendary Cut Hill box was elusive for many years and is probably still out there somewhere. If anyone has any information about it I would be very interested to hear any news.
The Lost Legionnaire
Hiker
Hiker

Post by The Lost Legionnaire »

I've dug out an old catalogue and it states, 'Cut Hill No7759' Box is 34 paces on 152.5 from rain gauge. Is that the one?
"So I find myself among brave south western hills....................running like a madman on the moor"
brockie
Drifter
Drifter

Post by brockie »

I don't think it is - the original had a catalogue number below 100 (can't remember exactly). It was reknown for it's secracy, although many boxes with the same name have come and gone since then. Many thanks for the research though.
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Hiya Brockie - welcome to the site - I will see if I can dig out some of my older catalogues (the ones without this colourful cover they seem to come with these days) or if I can find my old ring binder then I could tell you
Nik 245 to go
brockie
Drifter
Drifter

Post by brockie »

Hi Nik - Many thanks, I have the catalogues from 1986 onwards, but it's probably one that's pre-1986 that will reveal the information. Would be great if you could help.
The Lost Legionnaire
Hiker
Hiker

Post by The Lost Legionnaire »

Yeah, mine was the 1990 catalogue.
"So I find myself among brave south western hills....................running like a madman on the moor"