What 'appened woz....

A brief description on how you were bitten by the letterbox bug

Moderator: Moderators

Dartmoor Diddicoy
Drifter
Drifter

What 'appened woz....

Post by Dartmoor Diddicoy »

.... once upon a time The Dartmoor Diddicoy roamed far and wide in search of things called Geocaches. For those not in the know this is a 'development' of letterboxing starting off in the USA in the early 2000s. Essentially tis the same sort of thing. Box left hidden somewhere. Clues lead hunter to box... hunter is rewarded for finding box. Instead of the stamp the geocache contains stuff to trade and a logbook to sign. The benefit of geocaching is that it is really easy to get into. There is a website! www.geocaching.com Indeed I believe there are others. All you need is a GPS, plug in the co-ordinates and go get it.
Then one day The Dartmoor Diddicoy found a letterbox when he was looking for a geocache... what strange creation is this he thought? Intrigued he made some enquiries, bought a book and stamp pad and returned to take his first impression. He has not looked back.
After the very open system of Geocaching he was astonished by the lack of clues available to the newbie Letterboxer (as it turns out for good reason). So the scattergun approach was adopted. He wandered around 'target rich' areas such as Pew Tor and Sheepstor looking like an idjit under each stone and loose tuft of grass.
I am happy to report that the Dartmoor Diddicoy has now reached his hundred but can sypathise with newbies who wonder how the heck to get into this somewhat old-fashioned pastime. Persist dear ones. Look high and look low... but most of all enjoy the journey even if you can't find the destination.
May the Moor be kind to you. Dartmoor Diddicoy.
Dizzy
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dizzy »

A very interesting story, never tried Geocaching but then again I don't use a GPS, not really something I wish to buy really. Sounds a good hobby this Geocaching thing but I do like the letterboxing side of things.

Dizzy
Visit my website and please leave a message on my new Guestbook!
http://www.letterboxstamper.co.ukhttp://www.devonartist.co.uk
Mad moorland muppet
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Mad moorland muppet »

Geocaching is an excellent hobby - we are letterboxers first and foremost but on days when it is too wet to get up on the moor we can go geocaching slose to home.
The Lost Legionnaire
Hiker
Hiker

The Lost Legionnaire

Post by The Lost Legionnaire »

I don't do this geocaching thing but have stumbled across a few in my time. If you do partake, there is one on the upper rim of Crazywell Pool and the view over the reservoir is well worth the trip.
"So I find myself among brave south western hills....................running like a madman on the moor"
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

I've gound a couple of geocache boxes over the years - one on Roos Tor and the other on the tor one along from Laughter Tor (sorry can't remember what it was called).

I sometimes wonder whether those new to geocaching might accidentally take letterbox stamps, believing them to be geocache stache?

:cry:

Tina
next target 2000 - hopefully some time in 2010 (ha, ha, make that 2013)
Tina
NUMBER 70

Post by NUMBER 70 »

I have seven geocaches out around our area and they have been visited by over 40 groups. the good thing is as the owner you get almost instant feedback as to the condition of the cache ie book wet etc as the finder has to log there visit and you get an email for each find, we have only found two Caches.

If it listed as a hybrid letterbox they should leave the stamp behind
Now a Sustrans Volunteer Ranger Group Coordinator on the Trans Pennine Trail
Dartmoor Diddicoy
Drifter
Drifter

Post by Dartmoor Diddicoy »

There are geocaches in all sorts of places and in all parts of the world. I got into it when I lived in the USA. I found however that I never bothered with the exchange of 'trinkets' which I think is more for the kids. Instead I just signed the log.

As I now live so close to the moor most of my outdoor activity is on Dartmoor and so letterboxing is what I enjoy most. There's a lot to be said for both pastimes... lot's of exercise and fresh air!

The GPS is a great safety device to take with you. From my experience as a pilot I would not advocate it as the only means of navigation. A map and compass is always my primary source of navigation in remote areas... unlike the GPS they never stop working because of flat batteries! Even if you know the moor like the proverbial 'back of your hand', when the visability gets low a GPS is a real asset in getting you back. Just have to remember that the straight line is not always the best way back. Used with traditional navigation you get the best of both worlds.
Moortrekkers
Ambler
Ambler

Post by Moortrekkers »

Its the opposite for me, only just found out about Geocaching, i am struggling to understand it, other than the trinkets for the kids. I have been to about 4 in the vicinity of the village, by looking up the locations on the website, the best bit is trying to locate them without a GPS, which is something i refuse to use.
They seem to be anywhere in fact one has been located virtually in my back garden?? You cant beat a nice collection of stamps..
Station Master
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Station Master »

both hobbies are excellent and get you out in the fresh air. And Geocaching takes you to all sort of places.
The Wandering Artist
Trekker
Trekker

What 'appened woz....

Post by The Wandering Artist »

An interesting post with varying views from the original, all of which have their own merrit.

Think I will leave the 'boys' to go collecting the trinkets, and let the men do the boxing.

TWA
Station Master
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Station Master »

both hobbies are the same its all about collecting has many has you can.
I have said before I love both. But boys collect letterboxes and men collect Geo-caches, the reason why geocaches are found high on the mountains, and all over the world. I do not really mean to get at the last post but could not resist it. Sorry.
gar&sue
Hiker
Hiker

Post by gar&sue »

But boys collect letterboxes and men collect Geo-caches
:D
gar&sue (Fraser's On Tor)
The Wandering Artist
Trekker
Trekker

What 'appened woz....

Sorry to the author, but the posts seem to have taken on a personal thing.

The mention of trinkets must have excited the 'limp wrist group'.

TWA
Station Master
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Station Master »

TWA is winding a few people up on here.
I have done but never get personal.
We are here because we all enjoy Letterboxing, some others enjoy other hobbies to.
The Wandering Artist
Trekker
Trekker

What 'appened woz....

Sorry SM - winding who up? - seems no one else has replied as far as I an see.
Do not see as I have got personal - please clarify.

When you refer to 'we are here because....' - who is 'we'

Best regards TWA