New to GPS

Share navigation tips, discuss map-reading, compass use etc.

Moderator: Moderators

catrab
Drifter
Drifter

New to GPS

Post by catrab »

Hi I'm sure this is a really silly question but here goes. We have just bought a garmin etrex and thought we'd give it a go next time we're letterboxing. the question is - how do we enter grid references into it - do we need a computer programme or can it be done straight onto the GPS? I've noticed lots of boxes now have 10 figure grid references which i assume is to do with GPS but ours doesn't seem to let us put them in. we don't want to put every box in but now and again it would be handy. Hope someone can help!
Mhairi
moorland wizard
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by moorland wizard »

we have the etrex as well, what we do is just put the boxes down you want to do that day then delete them, we find it allot easier, as for how to put the grids in, no need for a program it is already loaded into it, I hope you have the instructions as it is quite hard to explain on here, just read the book as it eplains it more and what features you have.
catrab
Drifter
Drifter

Post by catrab »

Thank you for that! Now that i know it's possible i've spent some time with the book and have managed to enter the grid references for some local spots for practice. :D
moorland wizard
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by moorland wizard »

you can change the symbols for grid ref so if you r on a walk have them the same then any other boxes you have use a different symbol