South to North

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

The Lost Legionnaire
Hiker
Hiker

South to North

Post by The Lost Legionnaire »

I've just finished reading 'Dartmoor Captured' by Michael Hedges and it's got me thinking.

He undertook a two-part walk from Ivybridge in the south, to Okehampton in the north. He did the Harford Moor Gate to Postbridge leg first, then four weeks later completed the trek. I plan to do it over a weekend.

Has anyone else done this?
"So I find myself among brave south western hills....................running like a madman on the moor"
moorland wizard
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by moorland wizard »

no but sounds intresting, let me know how you get on and take some photos
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

There used to be something called the OATS Walk which used to be done once a year - I only ever managed the half OATS walk from Postbridge to Okhampton, - the OATS walk went from Ivybridge to Oakhapmpton I think!

Though the longest walk I managed just for a badge was the Padstow to Fowey one in one day - 36 miles - I got the gold badge for that one, just follow the saints way, the worst part of it was the roads - an absolute killer on the old feet!
If you manage the Saints way in two days you get a silver medal for it.
So worth while getting a video camera for the occasion, the daily paper and arrange to start at sunrise to be there before sunset.
Nik 245 to go
wires
Hiker
Hiker

Post by wires »

i have herd of people doing ivybridge - okehampton in a day, bit extreem though

dont stand in somone elses shaddows, make your own mark. ..... do somthing that might scare you, it will change your life.
The Lost Legionnaire
Hiker
Hiker

Post by The Lost Legionnaire »

Was that in a taxi!!
"So I find myself among brave south western hills....................running like a madman on the moor"
wires
Hiker
Hiker

Post by wires »

no ! somthing that you dont get very much down here, the guy was / is a fell runner.

dont stand in somone elses shaddows, make your own mark. ..... do somthing that might scare you, it will change your life.
cranmere

Post by cranmere »

We're hoping to do north to south next summer over 2 days.
Pat aka The Bristol Bogtrotter